CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question 2 interfaces with same method

hi all,

i had a problem if suppose there are two interfaces with same method name say

interface A
    {
    public void show();
    }
    interface B
    {
    public void show();
    }

and class C implements A,B
    {
    public void show()
    {
    .................Do something........
    }
    PSVM(String s[])
    {
    }
    }

my question is which interface method is implemented.

thanks in advance.

Re: 2 interfaces with same method

Have you coded and compiled it to see what the compiler says?
    If the two methods have the same signature, the compiler should only allow you to have one of them coded in your program.
    Try it and let us know.
    Last edited by Norm; August 14th, 2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Norm

thanks for yr quick reply my frnd i do have compiled and run the program.i needs to know the implementation is from which interface either A's method is implemented or B's mehod in my Netbeans IDE its show the method which is implemented firts

for eg.

class c implements A,B

then the compilers says imeplemntation of interface A ..but i am unable to get the theory behind it plz help.

thanks in advance.

If you get error messages, please copy and paste them here.

I would think that the show() method you show would satisfy both interfaces, but to be sure, write a program and see what happens. Have you done that? If so what happened?
    I have no idea what any IDE would do with it.
    Norm

yes dear frnd i have done that,the program is running fine now my question is out of interfaces A or B whose method is getting imeplented in the implamentation class.

thanks in advance.

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

If the two interfaces have a common method (same signature), then you just implement it and it will be available via references to both interfaces.

The only problem arises if the intended action of the method is significantly different in the two interfaces. You clearly can only provide one implementation, so it's possible that the method will do the 'wrong' thing from the point of view of one interface.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but not in practice...
    Anon.
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.

Quote Originally Posted by javaplayer
    hi all,
    my question is which interface method is implemented.
    Simply both.

This is the so called diamond problem. In Java its solved technically because there can ever be only one implementation for the name clashing methods.

From a design point of view it's still a problem though. Do you really want the methods of two different interfaces to be implemented in the exactly same way? The answer probably is no and then the only solution is to rename the methods so they can be implemented differently.

So the Java inheritance model solves the diamond inheritance problem for the compiler but not for the designer.
    Last edited by _uj; August 14th, 2008 at 07:55 PM.

thanks a lot for your all's valuable suggestions i think now its clear to me.