CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Optimization With Clustering

I got involved in a project to optimize a database. The primary table, Receivables, has 3 fields that we mainly use in query conditions. The primary key which is a auto incrementing int, is rarely used in our queries. It is also currently set as the clustered index. The 3 fields I'm considering using in a clustered index are year, quarter, and customer id. For normal operations I don't think adjusting the indexes would have any affect. However, since there's around 50,000 records per quarter, reports tend to take a minimum of 10 seconds to generate and will take a long time when creating a report that compares quarters from several years.

An example query for a report for several years would look something like

Code:
    SELECT *
    FROM   Receivables
    WHERE (Year = 2006 AND Quarter = 2)
                OR (Year = 2007 AND Quarter = 2)
                OR (Year = 2008 AND Quarter = 2)
    So would creating a clustered index on Year,Quarter,CustomerId make a significant improvement or should I attempt a different approach?

Also, this table has about 3 million records and takes up about 500 mb. So when I create this index will this table be locked for a few seconds, minutes, hours, or would access just be slow until the index is created?

Thanks,

Re: Optimization With Clustering

The best suggestion I can give is to try it. As this is a production database you should take a backup and bring it up on a dev system. Then try it out. Use the profiling tools of you db (query analyzer for mssql, explain command for mysql,or equivalent for other db's) and figure out what is actually taking the time.

In this way you will also know how long adding/modifying index will take without resorting to guessing.

Hope that helps.

Getting rid of AutoNumber Index Fields are a good thing, as I recall.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Hi all.
    You didn't say what db you're using...

You're using OR operator in your query, that slows down the execution.
    Before trying "system optimization" as clustered indexing, I suggest to rewrite the query.

For example
    Code:
    SELECT *
      FROM Receivables
     WHERE Quarter = 2
       AND Year IN (2006, 2007, 2008)
    This query is equivalent to the previous one, but IN operator is faster than OR operator.
    Last edited by davide++; September 4th, 2008 at 05:13 AM.