CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question system("tskill explorer")???

I tried to terminate explorer.exe with "system("tskill explorer")" but after few seconds everything comes back. When I close it from "Task Manager" it stays closed. Is there a way to close it for good from my program?
    Last edited by Pajsh; September 19th, 2008 at 11:38 AM.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: system("tskill explorer")???

Um, explorer.exe is your desktop environment, is it not? Why would you want to close that?

I want my application to be only available. It's an application for Internet caffes.

That's typically an OS-level restriction, not application-level.

I don't know what support Windows has for it (must be some). OSX calls this concept the "Simple Finder".

Quote Originally Posted by Pajsh
    I want my application to be only available. It's an application for Internet caffes.
    The explorer is the core of your desktop. That's why it will ALWAYS come back after you killed it. So, killing it is not an option.

There are 2 other options AFAIK.
    1. Write your own explorer. It is possible and allowed, but it is a BIG job.
    2. Write a application that is full-screen and make sure it will ALWAYS stay full screen.

Btw, why does it need to be the only app. ?If your problem is the fact that other users can change your system, than there is also a rights system in windows that makes it possible to exclude almost anything except your own app.

How can I kill it permanently with "Task Manager" but can not with "Command Prompt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Skizmo
    than there is also a rights system in windows that makes it possible to exclude almost anything except your own app.
    If you could explain it more, please.

Because TM uses EnumProcess, and OpenProcess to list out all processes. It uses TerminateProcess to terminate the process. TSKILL also internally uses TerminateProcess to kill a process.

You can disable (I dont know how and where), using Group Policy Editor. Enter gpedit.msc on Run box. There must be some registry setting to disable the explorer.

But be warned that user may open explorer using task-manager (the TM keys!). So you must disable TM too! Using some application user may open explorer (or task-manager), if File Open/Save dialog-box is supported by application. Yes, implementing tight NTFS security to system folders may prevent this.

In short, a long way to go!
    My latest article: Explicating the new C++ standard (C++0x)

Do rate the posts you find useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pajsh
    If you could explain it more, please.
    Windows has users account and policy settings. I must admit I'm not an expert on these things, but I know they exist. You can create a user account (for your standard internet cafe user) with very limited rights, so they can only read and write in 1 directory (download/upload dir). You can limit this account to only run stuff that you allow. As I said, I'm not really an expert, but there is enough info to google for. Your decision should be, am I going to write complex software, or am I going to learn how to use the windows right system. I would advice the last

Talking Re: system("tskill explorer")???

I managed to kill it permanently but in a very stupid way. I made a button with "system("tskill explorer")" when clicked. Then I started the app and pressed it once, explorer died & when he tryed to start again, I pressed the button again & killed him for good. I don't have any use from it, but it was FUN.

When re-launching Explorer after it's forced closed, Windows should really play a "BRAAAAINNS!" audio clip.

Except I think Microsoft takes itself too seriously for that....

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Lindley
    When re-launching Explorer after it's forced closed, Windows should really play a "BRAAAAINNS!" audio clip.

Except I think Microsoft takes itself too seriously for that....
    Judging from the recent ads from Microsoft, it seems apparent that they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pajsh View Post
    I tried to terminate explorer.exe with "system("tskill explorer")" but after few seconds everything comes back. When I close it from "Task Manager" it stays closed. Is there a way to close it for good from my program?
    taskkill /f /im "explorer.exe"

Should work.

just killing explorer.exe is not anywhere near enough to being enough to make a usable and safe kiosk type ui.

You will typically need a special keyboard to prevent (among others) Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt+F4, Alt+Space and a bunch of other system keys.
    You will need to properly secure your windows via the local policies.

TBF, depending on what you want to do, there are a bunch of alternative approaches for kiosk/internet cafe apps without trying to get windows to play ball (which isn't easy).