CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] What next?

I would really like to continue learning C++

I have recently been giving C# a try but would now like to continue with C++.
    I also believe that i have a pretty good understanding of C#.

I have done all of the console application stuff. If statements, file IO, etc
    (Meaning i know the C++ syntax).

And i am wondering what to do next? I would guess to start with a C++ UI application but i don't know where to begin but i do not want to use .Net(100% native code).

-Where do i begin? I have visual studio 2008 pro installed.

Thanks.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: What next?

If you want to write cross-platform programs (main reason for avoiding .Net, I'd think), then you should read up on GTK+, WxWidgets, and any other GUI toolkits that interest you.

Checkout MFC. It is in your Visual Studio. It is C++ with GUI development. I have been using it for 6 years and I'm still happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by Skizmo
    Checkout MFC. It is in your Visual Studio. It is C++ with GUI development. I have been using it for 6 years and I'm still happy with it
    Where can i learn how to use mfc? books, website recommendations?

Thumbs up Re: What next?

Hmmm.. good question. Here is a link with a lot of free books online also including C++, but the best way I know to learn a language is simply try and error. Create a MFC project in your studio and see what happens. Use MSDN or F1 to get information, or ask the mighty Google for answers . In other words... try it and see where it gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizmo
    Hmmm.. good question. Here is a link with a lot of free books online also including C++, but the best way I know to learn a language is simply try and error. Create a MFC project in your studio and see what happens. Use MSDN or F1 to get information, or ask the mighty Google for answers . In other words... try it and see where it gets you.
    Sounds good, pretty much the same way i learned C#...

Thanks.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

A good first step to learning MFC is doing the MFC Scribble Tutorial in Msdn.

Avoid MFC.
    It's dead.
    No more job in MFC for years in Europe... (and old jobs in <2000 were paid like cleaning ladies...)

Avoid MFC.
    It's dead.
    I've been hearing this for last 8 years. VC++ was declared dead when Java came, and when C# came. It's non-sense. Moreoever, just wait for VS 10.0 to come, where VC++ would be revamped along with major changes to MFC library.

I wouldn't prefer GTK or something like that for the lack of proper debugging techniques. And if you count VS to be good (excellent) debugger to work, you dont choose GTK+. You take MFC instead!
    My latest article: Explicating the new C++ standard (C++0x)

Do rate the posts you find useful.