dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: CRichEditCtrl - margins and emdedded docs

CRichEditCtrl - margins and emdedded docs

I have a CRichEditCtrl embedded on a dialog, and I'm filling it by loading up a RTF doc and streaming it into the control. Two questions:

1) Is there a way I can embed the RTF document in the resources and have a CFile object open up the resource instead of providing an actual file system path?

2) Is there a way to specify margins on the Rich Edit Control? Right now when the text is streamed into the control, it starts at the very top left. Ideally, I'd like a 10-15 pixel area of margin around the inside of the control.

Thanks for any help!

Re: CRichEditCtrl - margins and emdedded docs

Re: 1, have you checked EM_STREAMIN. I am guessing you could send this message and in the callback pass in the buffer to the data.

You could get the buffer by adding a resource to your exe and using LoadResource/LockResource to read the data into a buffer. Just a possibility.

I ended up finding a solution to both my question below through a little research. I'll post them here in case anyone had similar questions:

1. I did pretty much what you were suggesting. I called FindResource, LoadResource, then LockResource. I got a void* back from LockResource which I then copied to the buffer in the "stream-in" callback using a CMemFile.

2. I ended up using SetParaFormat on the Rich Edit Control. To set right and left margins, I selected all the text (SetSel(0, -1)), then called SetParaFormat using a PARAFORMAT2 object where I set the dxStartIndent and dxRightIndent. For the top margin, I selected the entire first line (SetSel(0, m_richEdit.LineLength(0)), then called SetParaFormat using a PARAFORMAT2 object where I set the dySpaceBefore.

Thanks for your response.

cool. Glad you worked it out. Thanks for sharing your solution

Actually, as I was reading the CRichEditCtrl documentation more closely, I found a way better solution for my second question (about setting margins). Instead of doing all that paragraph formatting, I called SetRect on my Rich Edit control with the client rect deflated by a few pixels. Much cleaner solution =)

@sjc It is 2018, 10 years later and i have to say your answer helped me on your 2nd question.
    Here is a reference to SetRect which worked pretty well.. Thanks again
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp...s-2017#setrect