CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Need help with AJAX and JSF

I need help with following scenario:

I have a XML file wherein the parameters of different pop-up windows are stored(height,width,left,top).

Now I open a pop-up window from my JSF by calling a Javascript function.When I call that JS function, values are forwarded from XML file to the Javascript. There will be multiple pop-ups on a single page.

Now the User can change the position and size of the pop-ups and clicks a "Save settings" button on the Pop-up.When the user clicks, the new coordinates will be saved into the XMl so that whenever he opend that pop-up it opens in the new location with new coordinates.

Can you guys please help me out in this. How should I proceed ?

1. Should I use AJAX for this such that AJAX reads the coordinates from XML files and updates it ?

2. Or JSF reads the values from XML file using a Backing Bean and then forwards these values to Javascript. Similarily when I need to write values to XML, Javascript forwards these values to JSf and JSF calls the Bean which updates in XML.

Please help me out in this.

Abhilash

Re: Need help with AJAX and JSF

From my own experiences, I suggest that you wrap the XML config files with an object on the server side. AJAX then doesn't need to know how the data is stored, it only needs to make the asynchronous call to retrieve and store the values.

If you want to handle this on the client-side, then I suggest *storing* it on the client-side, i.e. in a cookie.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, human, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.