CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: VB6 to VB.NET Comparison

I have VB6 running on Vista Ultimate 64bit. Installing SP6 after VS2008 hosed things, but repairing solved the issues.

Putting VB6 after VS2008 proved to cause problems (couldn't locate the disk)

Now that I can, I'm going to try out VB10 as well.

The project that I'm working on now is in VB9, with DevExpress's controls.

It's running on a SBS2003 system, which I hope to upgrade to SBS2008
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard View Post
    Compact (and Embedded) Framework has a different set of issues (which I should have been explicit on). Here matching the OS and Framework is very important.

My experience has been frequent contact with the Dev groups (as well as suppport via MCS and Premier) averaging a couple of times per year over the past two decades. "Success" rates have been upwards of 90%....

Given that you are still "shipping" 1.1 based apps, I wondeer what the impact would be if next months "Windows Update" pushed out something that broke all of your applications. They would perfectly within their rights to do so. There already have been situations where "previously working" code in VB6 has been broken by published updates.

For any vendor, there must be an end of support (imagine if Windows 2.0 still had to be supported).
    Windows update does not apply to the devices I am shipping for and nothing newer than 1.1 will work unless the OS is upgraded. As for update breaking things, it has been known to happen and that is juts one of many reasons that I do not use the auto update features in the os. I always, and I do mean always look to see what the changes are in an update and if there is a chance it may break something I also make sure there is a backup before the update is applied.

If people take proper care then there is no big issues. If they start installing other programs, updates, new os and such then there is always a chance that a program may stop working. This is one of many reasons why backups are so important.

I suppose some people are concerned if support for a product is discontinued but really a product that is tried and proven in the workplace is known to work and onlyt by changing things will it not work. Solution don't do that

Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard

My experience has been frequent contact with the Dev groups (as well as suppport via MCS and Premier) averaging a couple of times per year over the past two decades. "Success" rates have been upwards of 90%....
    This confirms what I suspected

I have noticed that many of your contributions (which I must say are normally excellent), seem to be coloured with intelligence which seems to be out of the reach of people like me who live in the "real world"

Is the contact, and "heads up" info restricted to an elite group, or are all programmers able to tap in to seemingly unavailable information ?

Or do you pay for this service ?

Quote Originally Posted by George1111 View Post
    I have noticed that many of your contributions (which I must say are normally excellent), seem to be coloured with intelligence which seems to be out of the reach of people like me who live in the "real world"
    Thanks for the info. Very little has to do with "intelligence", but ALOT to do with experience. Although I have often been accused of "living in my own special world", it does not apply here.

Is the contact, and "heads up" info restricted to an elite group, or are all programmers able to tap in to seemingly unavailable information ?

Or do you pay for this service ?
    I do pay for part of it. It is a cost of doing business.

The contact info, has been carefully cultivated over years. One good place for people to start is to get actively involved in oline and local environments where the dev teams are also involved. [CodeGuru is my favorite forum by far, but it is NOT a Microsoft feature - and in general this is a VERY good thing].

Some (10%-25%) of the heads-up info is to select groups, but things like the VS-2010 CTP have been available to the general MSDN subscriber population for a (short) while.

I do not believe there is anything I do, that can not be done by any professional developer, although the "investment" may be too high for the "hobbyiist".
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

It seems one major point is becoming lost in this thread, which is to help BadNews01 decide what to do with his project.

In the short-term, it doesn't seem practical to try to make substantial changes. While there are probably better ways to handle the task than VBA, the learning curve for you might be a bit too steep to get something meaningful in a short enough amount of time.

IMO, I'd suggest to learn your language of choice at your own pace. When the time comes when you have developed your skills enough to tackle the project, you'll probably know it. There's little doubt you'll still run into things which have you scratching your head, but your knowledge at that time should carry you through far more easily and faster than you could ever hope for now. And of course there is CodeGuru to pick up the slack.

Attempting to dive in head first and get up to speed quickly sounds quite likely to be overwhelming. What your boss wants is yet another matter, and non of us know him as you do. It sounds to me however, that you won't be able to walk into your boss's office and say "we're going to start over from scratch, and it will take awhile to get something usable."

As you learn the language, you'll have those light bulbs going off above your head, and you'll start to see possibilities and solutions. At some point you'll be able to begin putting something together, and the time it takes is dependent upon the complexity of the project, and your aptitude for programming.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

WizBang...EXCELLENT POST
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions

Quote Originally Posted by George1111 View Post
    One thing puzzles me ..

Why are all you .Net gurus posting in the VB6 forum ?

You don't just happen to still be secretly using VB6, are you ?

Now why would that be ?
    Some of us have been using VB6 years before .NET came out, and if you notice, most of "Us .Net guru's" only reply to post's here.. Just because we no longer create new projects with it, does not mean we don't know how to use it ..

Some of us also still maintain a few old projects in VB6 that was not worthwhile updating to .NET.. I'm currently busy on one such update project, and have been busy with it for the last 8 months, FULL TIME.....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by WizBang View Post
    ...In the short-term, it doesn't seem practical to try to make substantial changes. While there are probably better ways to handle the task than VBA, the learning curve for you might be a bit too steep to get something meaningful in a short enough amount of time.

IMO, I'd suggest to learn your language of choice at your own pace. When the time comes when you have developed your skills enough to tackle the project, you'll probably know it. ....
    As you learn the language, you'll have those light bulbs going off above your head, and you'll start to see possibilities and solutions. At some point you'll be able to begin putting something together, and the time it takes is dependent upon the complexity of the project, and your aptitude for programming.
    Yea WizBang
    This sounds similar to what I wanted to suggest in an early post.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPoet
    You have to understand that VBA is like a tool added to Access to get people able to handle easy data aopproaches without the need to contact a programmer. On the opposit side maybe there could be done one solution which handles all the views you will need one time and you would only connect to the database and read out the data automatically. But this would be a much more complex application as you would be able to design as a newbie.

So as I told you learn VBA, use it and also learn VB.net and with the knowledge of both then decide yourself which approach is the best in a given situation. This may be different each time
    But this was in post#17 and then we have begun to discuss VB related to VB.net, which might have brought us a bit away from the originators needs.
    But IMHO all this may have given him a really good 'total view' about that theme.

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

I new that Gremlin

Could I go so far as to say you still have a soft spot for "your old love" (VB6)

Thanks for hanging around the forum - your contributions are most helpful !

To get this thread more on track with the actual topic, one difference between VB6 and .net is the practicality of distribution in various markets. For instance, the average home user isn't going to be on the "bleeding edge" with either software or hardware. In my experience, small companies generally aren't either. In addition, with software for the home user, there are still considerations such as download size/speed. So if a user doesn't have the .net runtime files, asking them to go through what for them is confusing and painful, just isn't usually going to happen.

Personally, I don't know of any home users who have the .net runtime or Vista. Not that I go around asking everyone I meet what they have, but by far it seems as long as the system isn't giving them headaches, they don't generally look forward to messing with it. In fact they typically dread the idea, and usually get newer stuff only when something breaks. Then they ask a buddy to do it because they don't know how, and can't afford to buy all new stuff or pay a shop to fix what they have.

So, the market you intend to reach has a LOT to do with which programming languages to consider. If the target systems are varied (such as home users), you'll have a wider market potential by keeping dependencies to the sort which more of those users are likely to already have.

In the corporate environment however, many if not all the systems are often upgraded at the same time. Plus they're usually (and wisely so) basically identical. In this scenario, you know precisely what the target machines look like. You'll probably be developing the software on one of those systems too, so when it runs on the dev machine, deployment glitches should ideally be minimal. Also, the install/upgrade is handled by competent people (including yourself), so you aren't dealing with clueless end users in order to get everything running. It is quite common for this type of software to be running on networks, working with large databases, etc. As I understand it, that's not as easy to do in some languages as it is in VB6 or .net, and I'm sure those who know both can describe the basic advantages one might have over the other.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

Personally, I don't know of any home users who have the .net runtime or Vista.
    My experience is almost 100% the opposite.

EVERY person (that I know) with XP, and some type of internet connection (even 56KB dialup) has the .NET framework installed.

Now, I will freely admit that my experience is biased because ot my US location, and the fact that I am more frequently in urban/suburban areas...

If someone at a party asks me ANY type of (Windows/PC related ) computer question, my first question back to them is "When was the last time you ran Windows Update (why dont you have it as automatic?) and selected all recommended updates?". If the answer is anything less recent than 2 weeks, my response is "GO do a Windows Update...come back and ask your question again when you have done this".

I do know a few people (<0.1%) who have PC's running some version of Windows with absolutely no connectivity, and absolutely no need to update anything.
    2008, 2009,2010

It seems one major point is becoming lost in this thread, which is to help BadNews01 decide what to do with his project.

In the short-term, it doesn't seem practical to try to make substantial changes. While there are probably better ways to handle the task than VBA, the learning curve for you might be a bit too steep to get something meaningful in a short enough amount of time.

IMO, I'd suggest to learn your language of choice at your own pace. When the time comes when you have developed your skills enough to tackle the project, you'll probably know it. There's little doubt you'll still run into things which have you scratching your head, but your knowledge at that time should carry you through far more easily and faster than you could ever hope for now. And of course there is CodeGuru to pick up the slack.

Attempting to dive in head first and get up to speed quickly sounds quite likely to be overwhelming. What your boss wants is yet another matter, and non of us know him as you do. It sounds to me however, that you won't be able to walk into your boss's office and say "we're going to start over from scratch, and it will take awhile to get something usable."

Thanks for your tip

My experience is almost 100&#37; the opposite.

EVERY person (that I know) with XP, and some type of internet connection (even 56KB dialup) has the .NET framework installed.

Now, I will freely admit that my experience is biased because ot my US location, and the fact that I am more frequently in urban/suburban areas...

If someone at a party asks me ANY type of (Windows/PC related ) computer question, my first question back to them is "When was the last time you ran Windows Update (why dont you have it as automatic?) and selected all recommended updates?". If the answer is anything less recent than 2 weeks, my response is "GO do a Windows Update...come back and ask your question again when you have done this".

I do know a few people (<0.1%) who have PC's running some version of Windows with absolutely no connectivity, and absolutely no need to update anything.
    I do not reccommend to anyone that they set the windows update to automatic. I have saw far to many issues over the years with updated software not working properly and/or breaking other things that were working just fine before the update. Many times the update in question has no benifit to the user and really can be a risky thing with no upside.

I would say that some people who have auto update turned off just are not aware of it but most have it off on purpose and many for good reason. I strongly recommend that anyone who knows what they are looking at look at the updates before they allow them to be installed and backup if any are questionable before allowing the update to occur.

As for the .net runtimes, more and more computers have those on them as manyu newer versions of various software products require the .net runtimes to work but there are still a lot of systems without the runtime and a lot more without a specific version.

The bottom line is "If it isn't broke don't fix it."
    Last edited by DataMiser; November 15th, 2008 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    The bottom line is "If it isn't broke don't fix it."
    Exactly...and is a rcommented or critical update comes out it means that it is ALREADY BROKEN,, and needs to be fixed!!!

For the users (<20&#37; in my experience) who have the knowledge to make an investigation into each item, and draw the proper conclusions; then automatic download, with manual install makes sense.

For users who have a "critical" need, their machines should be managed by someone who does know what they are doing. There are many companies that perform this service (updates then get pushed by SMS or equiv).
    Last edited by TheCPUWizard; November 15th, 2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Fix tagging typo...
    2008, 2009,2010

Exactly...and is a rcommented or critical update comes out it means that it is ALREADY BROKEN,, and needs to be fixed!!!
    Really? If the users computer works as expected then it is not actually broken. Sure there was a problem corrected somewhere in the os or one of the many bundled programs many of which are not used by most users and no matter how many updates you install there will still be 1000s of problems in the OS.

The point is, does the system work as needed? If so what is the need to repair a working system? Is it worth the risk of your system not working or our favorite software not working.

For the users (<20% in my experience) who have the knowledge to make an investigation into each item, and draw the proper conclusions; then automatic download, with manual install makes sense.
    Automatic download is ok if you have a high speed connection as long as you clean up behind it. Otherwise I would reccommend notify only and any updates that are none critical to your usage of the system I would wait for the service pack. This serves two purposes. One the bugs in the updates have usually been fixed [not always] and two it saves a lot of disk space and registry entries as well as time and makes the system preform better overall.

For users who have a "critical" need, their machines should be managed by someone who does know what they are doing. There are many companies that perform this service (updates then get pushed by SMS or equiv).
    Agreed, but updates should never be applied on a users pc just because they are available.

On the other hand on a developers test pc all updates should be installed for testing purposes.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast