CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Lightbulb Assigning values to SQL Parameters

hi guys,

I do have only a little knowledge in SQL. I would like u guys to shed some light on the 'process when the sql parameters are being assigned to ..'

Here is the scenario:
    In the BLL, i hav an insert function which inserts some values to the DB. Here, I'm assigning some values to the sql parameters and executing it.

I would like to know whether any kind of interaction happens with the db when the sql parameters are being assigned to???

thanx in advance .. :-)

Re: Assigning values to SQL Parameters

There is something wrong with your architecture, it should be the DAL (Data Access Layer) that performs the CRUD operations instead of BLL. Not until you execute your queries that there is an established interaction with your database...

hi dee-u,

I hav a MdataLayer.dll object which is used almost in all the projects, that acts as the DAL.

As I said earlier, i have only the function definition in the BLL. All database transactions are done in the MDataLayer.

thanx for the reply...

You have said
    Quote Originally Posted by Dineshgirij
    In the BLL, i hav an insert function which inserts some values to the DB. Here, I'm assigning some values to the sql parameters and executing it.
    that's why I have thought that you are using BLL to perform your CRUDs against the database...

1) The BLL should have absolutely NO knlowedge of "Database" or "Sql".

2) Commandsand PArameters are platform/library dependant. The general Database forum is not the best place to ask. Please have a moderator move your post to the appropriuate forum - DO NOT DOUBLE POST!.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first