dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Soliciting cool application features

Arrow Soliciting cool application features

Since I am a lone developer with no one to exchange ideas with I wish that you guys could fill in the gaps.

I am searching on the 'hot' or 'cool' features of applications of todays standards, and I would like specific ones like for instance adding a 'Search History', stuffs like that. Or perhaps you could point me to a downloadable application that is feature rich (aside from Outlook of course).

This will be in n-tier environment using C# 2005 and the project is for Property Management and Asset Register, it will also have a GIS feature.

Thank you so much guys!

Re: Soliciting cool application features

Anyone?

I think each situation ( application ) is different. I also think that funky / cool features are quite relative to each person / team - so it would be extremely diffucult for anyone to 100% pinpoint a feature. If we have more knowledge of the application, we can suggest more.

I'm also in the situation of being the lone programmer, and a lot of my apps are presently being used - usually my ideas come from the users. Mostly, I've been using a trial and error basis, where I implement a new feature, and get feedback from the people using the app. So, if you can have a tester testing your app, you'll get more ideas & suggestions.
    With every yearly update, I implement the new features, that I've been thinking of throughout the year ( believe it or not ), sometimes at that point I can see if something will work or not.

Just my 2 cents...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

The software that I am currently developing would be marketed offshore so I would want to put in some features that would attract customers, if this could have been an internal application then I wouldn't have cared much about integrating funky features but I need to for the competition's sake.

Any advices?

Only general advice I'm afraid. Before all else, check what the competition is capable of and try to find out which part of the functionality is the most important for the user. Having a lot of very snazzy functions, but missing out on some basic important ones will not be good. For example a word processor that allows you to use lots of fonts, but does not have "find and replace" function.

Try to think like your end user and not like a programmer. How will your end user be using the program and how can you make the work for the end user as simple as possible? Are there things you could automate for the user that save (typing) work?