CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Educational Game Development Project.

I am thinking of reproducing a project I did about 20 years ago. A simple environment where young people [8-12 years of age] can be introduced to the general concepts of computer programming.

The original project was designed for the Commodore 64 (that gives an Idea of how old it was), the first machine to support "sprite" graphics.

It was a fairly straight forward project to have all of the subroutines already created. The students could modify the graphic for the sprites, "write" a few lines of (Basic) code,and bingo, there was a simple game that they could play.

I used this in a series of workshops that I did with various school districts. It was great.

Todays kids are MUCH more sophisticated, and what was an "exciting" game back then would now be totally uninteresting.

Fortunately software technology has also progressed.

What I am invisioning is a .NET set of libbraries and a framework along with some "designers" so kids could drag/drop certain parts, set a bunch of parameters, AND write some code (think dynamic compilation here). and have something that approaches todays games, but was unique to their creation.

At present this is a volunteer/community type effort. The two main areas that need initial assistance are the game concept and graphics (managed direct-x probably).

Depending on how progress goes, this will probably be hosted on SourceForge, CodeProjectl, or CodePlex. It will be OpenSource (exact licensing model TBD).

I am also posting this idea on a few other 'boards...

Anyone interested, please post here or send me a PM.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Re: Educational Game Development Project.

We promote a range of educational games that are based on computer games. You may care ot take a look <a href=”http://www.keen2learn.co.uk”title=”educational games”>educational games</a>. I can put you in touch with a number of games developers that you could contact with your project.

Alistair Owens

Quote Originally Posted by Keen2learn
    We promote a range of educational games that are based on computer games. You may care ot take a look <a href=”http://www.keen2learn.co.uk”title=”educational games”>educational games</a>. I can put you in touch with a number of games developers that you could contact with your project.

Alistair Owens
    Thanks,

Please enable Private Messages so I can contact you off-thread.

David
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions

I have create a project on CodePlex to start this off. Please contact me if interested and I will invite you to join......
    2008, 2009,2010

what is the status of your project?
    Please rate my post if it was helpful for you.
    Java, C#, C++, PHP, ASP.NET
    SQL Server, MySQL
    DirectX
    MATH
    Touraj Ebrahimi
    [toraj_e] [at] [yahoo] [dot] [com]