CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Force windows controls to render offscreen

Hi. I would like to render a flash active x control offscreen, take its texture and then render it to a quad. My screen size is 800x600.

Obviously I don't want the flash control to be on the screen where the user can see it. I just want to take its texture and texture it to a polygon.

I have manged to grab the texture of the flash control however it only works when I position the control in the viewable area of the window. If I move it off screen, say (800,0), the image that is returned is a black image.

I am thinking that windows automatically clips these controls if they are not in the viewable area of a screen which is normally a good thing but in my case is causing problems for me.

Do any of you winapi experts know how to prevent windows from clipping controls that are being rendered off screen? Thanks in advance!
    -- Brandon Fogerty
    Http://www.brandonfogerty.com

"Not believing doesn't make something not true"
    May GOD Bless, Strengthen, Guide, Protect, and Reveal Wisdom to you Always!

Re: Force windows controls to render offscreen

Sorry, but I'm afraid that is not possible. Offscreen is "void" area. There is nothing there. It's "by design" - the way Windows works.

I asked the same question long ago in the main C++ forum and this was the answer I got from highly experienced gurus.
    Nobody cares how it works as long as it works

Re: Force windows controls to render offscreen

Did you try the PrintWindow function? If it works depends on how the flash control is implemented though...
    Marc Gregoire - NuonSoft (http://www.nuonsoft.com)
    My Blog
    Wallpaper Cycler 3.5.0.97

Author of Professional C++, 4th Edition by Wiley/Wrox (includes C++17 features)
    ISBN: 978-1-119-42130-6
    [ http://www.facebook.com/professionalcpp ]