CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Microphone and pitch/frequency of input

I'm fairly new to C++ in generally, and I was wondering how to go about receiving input from a microphone and using it to determine the input's frequency/pitch? I'm not certain how I should start doing this, so if anybody has any pointers that would be great. If there are any libraries, tutorials or anything that could get me started I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Re: Microphone and pitch/frequency of input

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
    Richard P. Feynman

And if you are writing code for customers (who generally are not using Vista), take a look at DirectSound. Besides kernel mode audio (which nobody seems to know how to use and it is undocumented), it is the best for latency and doing stuff like frequency counting. It is also backwards compatible to XP.

One big kudos, 95% of the soundcards out there have frequency problems, being up to 2-3% off. A simple 8KHz sine wave may come in at 7895 up to 8136 in the basic testing I have done. I actually have not personally seen one that is accurate, although I have friends with fancy digital I/O soundcards that claim that they are accurate.

-Erik

P.S. Don't bother with ASIO - it only supports 1 soundcard at a time and requires special drivers.

That was a good help. Thankyou!