CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Equivalent to #pragma dataseg, #pragma comment - need to create shared seciton

When using MS C++, I can share data between two instances of an application by defining it within a shared data segment viz:

#pragma data_seg(".sdata")
    int sharedint = 0;
    #pragma data_seg()

#pragma comment(linker, "/SECTION:.sdata,rws")

Is there a way of doing this in C#?

Thanks

M.

Re: Equivalent to #pragma dataseg, #pragma comment - need to create shared seciton

>> Is there a way of doing this in C#?
    Yeah, however you do shared memory in .NET - which I'm not familiar with. I just want to point the dangers of shared sections in C++.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/ar...04/208003.aspx

gg

Re: Equivalent to #pragma dataseg, #pragma comment - need to create shared seciton

I am aware of this, but still, any ideas how to do what I want?

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

You can create the shared section (or the more secure file mapping) in a dll and pinvoke to it in the .net application.

Another approach is to have the application host a WCF web service to perform the data transfer.

With this approach, the first instance of the application would host the WCF service and subsequent instances would simply connect to the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Another approach is to have the application host a WCF web service to perform the data transfer.
    Isn't it too heavy solution? What about remoting or named pipes? I think that named pipes is designed exactly for similar scenarios.
    • Make it run.
    • Make it right.
    • Make it fast.

Don't hesitate to rate my post.

Quote Originally Posted by boudino View Post
    Isn't it too heavy solution?
    I don't think so. Unlike a .Net 2.0 Web service, it's quite simple to host a WCF service inside a .Net application. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms731758.aspx for more info.

I know, but event in this case, the whole WCF machinery with all dispatchers, channels and all the infrastructure is in the play. It will definitely work, but I still think that if the communication is in-process or in-machime (as I understand the original question), the overhead is too big.
    • Make it run.
    • Make it right.
    • Make it fast.

Don't hesitate to rate my post.

Quote Originally Posted by boudino View Post
    It will definitely work, but I still think that if the communication is in-process or in-machime (as I understand the original question), the overhead is too big.
    Respectfully, please define 'too big'.