CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Lightbulb Copying of the text from other programs (sorry for lang)

Help please, how it's possible to deduce in Textbox1.text the text which will be deduced in dos window or in a command line when by pressing the button "button1" this program will be started or *.cmd file

Help with a code

Re: Copying of the text from other programs (sorry for lang)

If I understand,

You want to transfer some data from a DOS Command Line to a VB Program into Text1 textbox when you click on a Command Button in your VB program ?

Can you upload a picture of what is being displayed in the DOS CMD Program

Quote Originally Posted by George1111 View Post
    If I understand,

You want to transfer some data from a DOS Command Line to a VB Program into Text1 textbox when you click on a Command Button in your VB program ?

Can you upload a picture of what is being displayed in the DOS CMD Program
    You are right. The picture is not necessary. First program is converting files and text is updated everyone 500 msec like this:

Converting PATH/FILE.EXT 1% - after 500 msec it will be : Converting PATH/FILE.EXT 2% and so on

Second program must show this process in textbox. Timer will be refresh textbox1.text every 500 msec.

It will look as textbox1.text=DATA FROM Program1 window

P.S I prefer VB.Net but in this situation i also can use VB 6.0. If you like, help me for vb.net code
    Last edited by 0Ewil0; November 28th, 2008 at 05:12 PM.

If we dont need a picture, how are we to understand what is on the screen - after all it is just a dos screen which looks like a page of text

I am not psychic (although I am trying)

Perhaps other people can "guess" what is on the screen

And then guess exactly what you want to retrieve from it

I cant help you, sorry

You have one program processing files, and outputting twice per second, and you want another program to read the text file? At the same time?

That is happening pretty quickly, and if you're doing any processing at all, it will take time.

You could append to the same text file, and read the last line every second.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Look the attached file, I guess you will understand now what I mean
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just have the SECOND program convert the files,and you can show the percentage complete a lot easier that it would be to monitor it using another program.

Who wrote the first program? If it's writing to the screen, it should be able to write to a text file at the same time.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Just have the SECOND program convert the files,and you can show the percentage complete a lot easier that it would be to monitor it using another program.

Who wrote the first program? If it's writing to the screen, it should be able to write to a text file at the same time.
    First program is not my, this program isn't saving text into text file, only print in windows

You'd have to intercept messages sent by that app. That is a pretty advanced area, and nobody else's code would work with your app. Search for SPY++, and you'll see posts from others about sendmessage
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

From what I can see, you have a DOS program running in the background, converting A NUMBER OF BMP files to JPG Format.

I would have thought that you are more interested in the names of the files being converted rather than the percentage complete

Unless your BMP files are SEVERAL MEGABYTES in size, the conversion percentage would hardly have time to display, let alone be meaningful

And so what if a particular file is 20% or 53% converted, when the full conversion time probably is less than 500ms per conversion

If the % complete per file is your whole desire in life, then TOTALLY IGNORE THE REST OF THIS POST

I imagine the final result you want is to know how long a big conversion process will take (not how long each individual file conversion will take)

You could check the directory for the number of files

eg, 5125 files to be converted

You then start the DOS process running and a TIMER starting at the same time
    (The TIMER trips over MINUTES and HOURS as it progresses)
    Your destination directory is EMPTY to start with

You now simulate what MS does in a Copying Dialogue

1) Check how many files have been converted
    2) Check the Time taken

Use this AVERAGE as the time it will take for each file

Display a) Time Taken and % Complete in your OWN program
    b) Time left to go (estimated - but will become more accurate, the more files are converted)

If you have a facination with the % taken per file you could also calculate the time it takes to convert a BMP of various size and use your own timer to calculate % done (or left to go) because you know which file in the list is going to be converted next

If you are only converting ONE FILE at a time, dont blink because you may miss the % complete

IF that's all it's doing, you could easilydo the same thing in VB.

As far as the File Watcher, that's a class in VB.Net, which fires each time the folder changes.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP