CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] VB6 app hangs in Form_Load on Vista

Hi -

I'm new here so hope I am in the right place.

I have a VB6 application that has run successfully on OS's from 98 to XP, but it is hanging on one Vista machine.

After the splash screen, this application loads a form with a Sheridan Data Grid. It connects to the MS Access db in the Form_Load method of this form. I have added MsgBox statements to see where it is hanging (it is developed on XP then installed on user PC's some of which may run Vista) on the Vista machine. As it turns out, the application hangs on entering the Form_Load method. The message I placed in the Form_Initialize displays fine, but the message included as the first line of the Form_Load method never displays.

I used InstallShield 2009 Pro to build the install. I installed it using a userID with Admin privileges, and am attempting to run it with the same userID using "Run as Administrator". The target system has Vista Ultimate.

Interestingly, I have access to 2 Vista machines with the same OS and pretty much the same software (both are fairly new machines and mostly clean), and the application runs fine on one Vista machine but hangs on the other.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: VB6 app hangs in Form_Load on Vista

You could try installing in 'safe mode'.
    If you find my answers helpful, dont forget to rate me

Question Re: VB6 app hangs in Form_Load on Vista

Hi Bill,

Thank you for replying to my post. I am not sure what you are suggesting, though. THe install appeared to go fine. I checked that the modules (.dll and .ocx files) got copied to the correct locations in Windows\System32 and were registered correctly (including the Sheridan files).

All I can figure is that there is some .dll that is needed that I missed in my install package that already exists on one machine but not on the other. Is there some tool that runs on Vista that can help me track it down? Or will tell me if I don't have authority to access some registry key? I looked in the Event Viewer and did not find any related errors there.

Thanks again.

Re: VB6 app hangs in Form_Load on Vista

Microsoft doesn't support Sheridan tools under Vista. There are a couple of other controls that don't register correctly. Vista has the VB6 runtimes built in as well (the compatible ones at least)

I had a major problem with the CAPICOM module, that worked fine under XP, and W2K3. (Had to delete the encryption section of the code... )
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Smile Re: VB6 app hangs in Form_Load on Vista

Hi dglienna,

It seems that you are right - everything I have found on the web indicates that Sheridan Data Objects are not officially supported by Microsoft in Vista. Darn!

However, I finally discovered that comdlg32.ocx amd comcat.dll files were not included in my install package for Vista, and that they are needed for my application. After adding them, my application now works! Yeah!!!!

THanks - and hopefully this comment may help someone else too.