CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Object Validation

Sorry, but I don't know how to create a validator for a boolean field if I always need to have a validator assigned.

I can't even assign it to Validator class and use the default "do nothing" field because that field had to change. Since the last example you gave me returned a boolean, the "do nothing" function had to be modified.

So now, it technically does something.

Code:
        public class Validator<T>
        {
            public virtual bool Validate(T data) { return false; }
        }
    Three5Eight
    Using: MS C# 08 EE, MS SQL 05 EE, C++ .Net 08 EE, Vista Home Premium, XP Home

The default validator should return TRUE!
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Ok, I'll make the changes then. I tried to stay away from returning true because no matter what is passed into the function will always be true even if it's not valid. I figured it was safer to return false and not assume the field was valid.

Now my IsValid() function will check all the field's Value property correctly. But I didn't know it was possible for a class to build a collection of all of the fields declared within it.

Right now I'm checking them all manually like I shown in my code example on Post # 40
    Three5Eight

If you remember,there was a time when the constructor for "Field" had a "this" parameter, but this broke things because we were using initializer lists....

Building the collection is done by implementing a set of calls. during construction (which is now taking place within the business objects constuuctor.

I dont have time tonight, but I will try to post an updated sample tomorrow morning.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions

Interesting, I'll look forward to your example. I think that would be usefull in many places. Not just validation. I guess you learn something new everyday. In the mean time I'll keep working on cleaning up my classes after all this.
    Three5Eight

Ironically this process is leading directly toward some material I am preparing for publication (that does handle alot more than validation). If the current implementation works for your immediate needs, it may be best to wait a week or so, so you can see the "real" design.
    2008, 2009,2010

Well everything works except the IsValid() function right now. I have many more classes to design, and if I can get the IsValid() down first then I do not have to rewrite all those classes.

But, other then that everything seems to be working. However, I haven't tested it at run time yet to see if the code really does what its supposed to. I wanted to get this last piece worked out first so everything is working when I test it.
    Three5Eight

TheCPUWizard:

In reguard to your PM here is the new project you requested. I think this is what you needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Three5Eight

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234