CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Unhappy Detect TV signal

Is anyone here familiar with this before, I attempt to build a small software (just need a window media player component but hard to find out how to code for interfacing) that can detect TV signal via antenna port in a PCI TV card (plugged in PCI slot and successfully installed driver)
    Hope from your hints, thanks in advance

Re: Detect TV signal

Quote Originally Posted by eleceyes View Post
    Is anyone here familiar with this before, I attempt to build a small software (just need a window media player component but hard to find out how to code for interfacing) that can detect TV signal via antenna port in a PCI TV card (plugged in PCI slot and successfully installed driver)
    Hope from your hints, thanks in advance
    Going to be a short term project. Remember analog broadcast (antenna) television ends in less than a month [In the USA] . VERY VERY few tuner cards are set up to recieve digital broadcast singals....
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Actually quite a few are setup for digital reception. I was shopping for a friend of mine about a year ago and was very easy to get a card that supported both for a reasonable price.

Also antenna does not equal analog. antenna is for over air broadcast which has been analog and is switching to digital. Just need the right antenna, location and tuner.

Use MEDIA CENTER. It lets you use your PC as a Video Recorder, that also lets you broadcast the signal to your XBOX or other devices (like TV)

Windows Media Center supports 4 tuners at once. WMC is Windows 7 is supposedly a lot beter. Lets copy protected movies be streamed to your other devices.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I haven't had much luck with streaming video to the xbox 360 from WMC.

I can get the link but when I try and play the movie I usually get a message about a missing codec or something to that effect. I can view pictures with no issue but so far none of my avi files seem to work. No big deal since I use the same monitor for the pc and the xbox but would be nice if it would work.

Which Media Center? (they've been getting better) I have Vista Ultimate.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Some AVI's have a non standard coding systems that was developed years ago.. However Microsoft do not include them in there std codec packs.. BUT.. you can download codecs from the net that will be able to play it... K lite Codec Pack contains almost all known playback codecs. and is available free...

Gremmy.
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

I was using XP MCE.

As for the Codecs, I have lots of video files on my system with different codecs, divx, xvid, mpeg and others, I have the proper codecs on my system and all of them work just fine on the pc. So far none have worked on the XBox360. I can get the listing but when I try to play any videos I get a codec message. I could understand it if it were just a few but so far it has been every one I have tried. Whatever the problem is it seems to be at the xbox level.

Get an extender, and shoot it over to the XBOX
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP