CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

coding in vb.net but designing GUI with silverlight

Hi,

I am trying to code an application in VB.net but visual studio design options are very basic I wanted to design the GUI with silverlight, is this possible?

If it is possible, what would be the best option to do this?

Re: coding in vb.net but designing GUI with silverlight

Quote Originally Posted by niro View Post
    I am trying to code an application in VB.net but visual studio design options are very basic I wanted to design the GUI with silverlight, is this possible?
    Yes, sure it is possible... Starting with Silverlight 2.0, the code-behind is no longer bound to be Javascript, but can be any .NET language, including VB.net.

However, are you aware that Silverlight is meant for targeting rich-client web applications, that run in a browser? Maybe what you actually have in mind (if you are talking about a desktop application) is using WPF for the UI, and not Silverlight?

For ANY XAML based UI...definately look at the Expression set of tools!!!!!!
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken View Post
    Yes, sure it is possible... Starting with Silverlight 2.0, the code-behind is no longer bound to be Javascript, but can be any .NET language, including VB.net.

However, are you aware that Silverlight is meant for targeting rich-client web applications, that run in a browser? Maybe what you actually have in mind (if you are talking about a desktop application) is using WPF for the UI, and not Silverlight?
    ahhhh i did not know that, so for a desktop application WPF would be the way to go. Thank you very much =D

thanks for the replies guys, very much appreciated