CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

general c++ question

I have a couple of questions. I currently work for scottrade which is a discount brokerage financial company in St. Louis, MO(help desk job). I have an interview in a few weeks for an entry level developer position with the company and have no idea what my salary requirements should be. I have to say a number and not negotiable and trying to get an idea on what I should say and would really appreciate any help. Thanks!!

I also will give a description of the position as well...

Description:

Job Description
    C++, Java, C# Developers (Entry Level Developers-St. Louis, MO) will work with a team of other motivated Junior and Senior Developers and business/product departments to develop and write application systems and programs. The developers must have proven experience producing quality code, strong unit testing background and excellent technical documentation skills along with a solid understanding of Object Oriented Principles. Must specialize in C++, Java and/or C# development.

If you are a quick learner looking for a great opportunity to grow your knowledge of the financial industry, while applying cutting edge technology in an expanding and exciting company, then this may be for you!

Required Skills
    1+ years programming experience using Object Oriented Principles, C++, C# and/or Java technologies
    Knowledge of relational database concepts
    Experience interacting with relational databases from client applications using stored procedures
    Required Experience:

Proven experience working within production control guidelines for production application changes including:

Creating unit tests for existing code and adding new features to ensure proper performance
    Obtaining and maintaining a working knowledge of operating systems and hardware used by the Web and Development groups
    Building systemic relationships with outside service providers and designers
    Creating and/or modifying program documentation in accordance to development standards and procedures
    Required Experience
    Bachelor Degree (MIS, Computer Science or other related field preferred) or equivalent hands-on technical experience is required.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: general c++ question

You didn't tell us anything about yourself.

There are a number of places on the net that will give you average salarays for a position IN YOUR AREA. Salaries differ WILDLY. I have seen postings which "look" identical, and have been filled at slarays covering a >$25K range.

You should be ready to answer the following (pulled directly from your list...)

1) proven experience producing quality code. WHAT have you ACTUALLY developed.? WHY is it QUALITY?

2) strong unit testing background . What unit testing tools are you stong with? How do you differentiate white/grey/black box testing? How would you use the tools in each of the secenarios?

3) excellent technical documentation skills. What documentation have you written? Can you provide a sample?

4) a solid understanding of Object Oriented Principles Name at least 7 recognized Design Patterns. When would you use each of them? Why?

That should give you a start.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

[Moved to more appropriate forum]

There are a number of places on the net that will give you average salarays for a position IN YOUR AREA. Salaries differ WILDLY. I have seen postings which "look" identical, and have been filled at slarays covering a >$25K range.
    $25,000 per months is a lot.
    Thanks for your help.