CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

winapi c++ - xml

Looking for references on how to use xml to create menus. Thanks.

Re: winapi c++ - xml

Menus ??? Where ?
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Where?? Thats a stupid question. I need to create menus for the restaurant I work at and need to use c++, winapi, xml.

Let me educate you. Some programs use menus, whether it be a "menu" with file, edit, view, history, etc located at the top of a program or a right click "menu" called a context menu. There you go, you should feel smarter.

One of notepad++ xml files looks like this. Yes, I could just go look at Notepad++'s source code, but im choosing not too:

Code:
    - <NotepadPlus>
    - <ScintillaContextMenu>
      <Item MenuEntryName="Edit" MenuItemName="Cut" /> 
      <Item MenuEntryName="Edit" MenuItemName="Copy" /> 
      <Item MenuEntryName="Edit" MenuItemName="Paste" /> 
      <Item MenuEntryName="Edit" MenuItemName="Delete" /> 
      <Item MenuEntryName="Edit" MenuItemName="Select all" /> 
      <Item id="0" /> 
      <Item MenuEntryName="Search" MenuItemName="Mark all" /> 
      <Item MenuEntryName="Search" MenuItemName="Unmark all" /> 
      <Item id="0" /> 
      <Item MenuEntryName="Edit" MenuItemName="to Upper case" /> 
      <Item MenuEntryName="Edit" MenuItemName="to Lower case" /> 
      <Item id="0" /> 
      <Item MenuEntryName="Edit" MenuItemName="Block toggle comment" /> 
      <Item MenuEntryName="Edit" MenuItemName="Stream comment" /> 
      <Item id="0" /> 
      <Item MenuEntryName="View" MenuItemName="Hide lines" /> 
      </ScintillaContextMenu>
      </NotepadPlus>
    If I create an xml file, I can parse it, and assign values to the what I want, but don't know how to create menus outside of resource file.
    Last edited by zaryk; December 29th, 2008 at 05:36 AM.

Where?? Thats a stupid question.
    Let me educate you. Some programs use menus, whether it be a "menu" with file, edit, view, history, etc located at the top of a program or a right click "menu" called a context menu. There you go, you should feel smarter.
    I'm sorry, I haven't seen your name before, CatShoe.
    Man, I have seen your name before, and have to say, you had shown nothing that can excuse your present behavior.
    Best regards,
    Igor

I am glad that I'm popular, that's my intention.

Impertinence seems like too high price for cheap popularity. Popularity vanishes too fast, reputation lasts much longer. If I were you, I would revise my intentions.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by zaryk View Post
    Where?? Thats a stupid question. I need to create menus for the restaurant I work at and need to use c++, winapi, xml.
    Is it ? Looking at your post, and the amount of information you have provided, and knowing thousand ways menu requirement can be interpreted, I would love to ask, who is stupid now ?

By 'where', I mean you have not posted about what the heck type your application is, 'where' would that menu go, what kind of menus you want whether it would be dynamically taken from external file or from xml resource.. But you don't care about that, you don't want your information, do you?

Ohh, that menu... thanks I think I could pass my second standard now.

If I create an xml file, I can parse it, and assign values to the what I want, but don't know how to create menus outside of resource file.
    If you need help on getting your question answered then I think you first need to learn the mechanics of "Asking the question", and yeah, attitude doesn't help.
    Last edited by Krishnaa; January 2nd, 2009 at 02:53 AM.
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Well, first of all, it was not a question, it was a statement.

Looking for references on how to use xml to create menus. Thanks.
    Second of all, common sense would say, "This dude would like references on how to use xml to create menus." Then common sense would say, "Well, there are multiple ways of using xml files to create menus." Then common sense would say, "So lets get him everything I can find, and explain to him that he can create menus dynamically from external files or from xml resources."

AND if you were thinking at all, you would figure that if this person, zaryk, was asking for references on how to use xml to create menus, then more than likely he hasn't done it before, and probably doesn't know a lot about using xml files in a program and can't give you a lot of detail about how he wants to use xml files, so asking, "Menus??? Where???", is quite stupid and deserves a smarta$$ remark.

"Menus??? Where???" can also be taken as sarcasm.

: )

OH, and one more thing. You really ought to read before you state stuff like:

who is stupid now ?
    I wasn't stating anyone as being "stupid" when I said:

Thats a stupid question.
    I was just stating your question was stupid.
    Last edited by zaryk; January 3rd, 2009 at 09:46 AM.

Second of all, common sense would say, "This dude would like references on how to use xml to create menus." Then common sense would say, "Well, there are multiple ways of using xml files to create menus." Then common sense would say, "So lets get him everything I can find, and explain to him that he can create menus dynamically from external files or from xml resources."

AND if you were thinking at all, you would figure that if this person, zaryk, was asking for references on how to use xml to create menus, then more than likely he hasn't done it before, and probably doesn't know a lot about using xml files in a program and can't give you a lot of detail about how he wants to use xml files, so asking, "Menus??? Where???", is quite stupid and deserves a smarta$$ remark.

If you don't have the common sense to know not to insult people from whom you ask for help...if you can't even figure out something basic like that...then are you really smart enough for a career in software development?

To me, it is surely possible to guess and provide the possibilities, but it is you who is seeking, I am just here to help, not paid to help, so I don't want myself to guess and read your mind and waste a lot of time... It should be you who provides all the details of what you are looking for, not my work to guess, is it ? What is more of common sense ? If you know so much of common sense, why didn't you simply provide details on what exactly you are looking for ? Like you should have said "I want to create menu entries dynamically by reading the XML file stored along with my exe/dll, the XML would have something like <menu root>File<Menu item>OPen</menu item></menu root>....", did you ?

The words 'create menu' and 'XML' could relate to each other for several reasons, who knows that you exactly want it to be dynamic menu based on XML entries ? it could also mean that you want to create menus using XML in some environment/framework which support it, Now that would be total guesswork, and if it is wrong then the OP will be confused if he/she doesn't understand much of the described...

And when you want some information, you shouldn't try to get on the wrong side of the guys who have it, isn't that another common sense point ?

Yeah ? Do we have a common understanding here ? Well, I don't want to drag this to something else, so...
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...88(VS.85).aspx

I think i found what im looking for. Like usual.

Big words for someone who asks a lot of, "noobish" questions.
    Think about it.

I'm sorry, I haven't seen your name before, CatShoe. Noobish questions are easy to come up with. You should be able to answer all my questions, then. See your answers soon.

You probably should give people who are trying to help you, a little bit more respect. Your comments above didn't sound so.

Anyways, I wish you a happy new year :-)

"Popularity vanishes too fast, reputation lasts much longer."
    Great statement for 2009!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast