CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Is it possible to hook Windows OS system messages, tooltips and etc?

Hello, I'm new here. I am planning to make an open source Text To Speech program in visual C++ 6. I would like to develop this program for blind users or users who wants their Operating system to talk for them (Like an intelligent AI!). I know that Microsoft had already built a narrator, but I want to make a my own version that sits in the system tray. My question is, is there a dll or an ocx that I can use that monitors the text displayed in Windows XP message boxes, tool tips, balloon messages, the current active application window title, the current file name being hovered by the mouse? I plan to make this program in old visual c++ because i don't want the user's to install a .NET framework on their pc and to make the program run fast on old pc's. Thank you.

Re: Is it possible to hook Windows OS system messages, tooltips and etc?

I think you can do this using IAccessible interface, there you can read the text for accessibility and do whatever you want to do next.
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Re: Is it possible to hook Windows OS system messages, tooltips and etc?

Quote Originally Posted by blueorange View Post
    I plan to make this program in old visual c++ because i don't want the user's to install a .NET framework on their pc and to make the program run fast on old pc's. Thank you.
    Just a small piece of advice....I would not do so. There is no requirement for the .NET framework even with the latest compiler if you choose a plain C++ application. However, it gains you a better compiler, a more standardized compiler and the latest IDE (which actually can increase your productivity).

These days, Visual Studio 6.0 should only be used for maintaining legacy code.