CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

The History of The C++ Programming Language

I have spent nearly 6 hours on writing the introduction and a second article for my blog today. It is now 3:57am PST, and I am ready to go to bed.

This is for those who need to brush up on the history of C++, or who have a minute or two to read about how it all started. I hope you find my writing style interesting and the information insightful. The target audience for these articles is a beginner programmer, however the purpose of these articles is to educate people of any background or skill level.

http://www.authenticsociety.com/blog/C_plusplus_History

I would really appreciate feedback on this, corrections, suggestions and whether anyone would like to see any more of these tutorials.
    Authentic Society
    www.authenticsociety.com

Re: The History of The C++ Programming Language

[Moved thread]

Quote Originally Posted by gregsometimes View Post
    I have spent nearly 6 hours on writing the introduction and a second article for my blog today. It is now 3:57am PST, and I am ready to go to bed.

This is for those who need to brush up on the history of C++, or who have a minute or two to read about how it all started. I hope you find my writing style interesting and the information insightful. The target audience for these articles is a beginner programmer, however the purpose of these articles is to educate people of any background or skill level.

http://www.authenticsociety.com/blog/C_plusplus_History

I would really appreciate feedback on this, corrections, suggestions and whether anyone would like to see any more of these tutorials.
    So do you still want to fix the second article at present ? i find the object definition is very concise.

By the way, 6 hours isnot long if you are a hardworking, I have seen two men spent more hours to share one program and fix a single bug till the source becomes completly pure. Things are optimized with cash in return without any loss. Objects can be with small talk originally.
    Why don't you try more with design patterns for good image processing programs ?

6 hours may or may not be a long period of time, depending on the circumstances. When writing educational articles is your second job, aside from being a professional software engineer, and having other things to take care of during the day, 6 hours is a valuable amount of time.

-- "Why don't you try more with design patterns for good image processing programs?"
    These tutorials are targeted at people who are beginning to learn C++ from the ground up and who still need to be guided through the fundamental concepts. This is specifically a C++ tutorial introduction, so the reader has some basic ground before they start to learn about operators, conditionals and functions.

-- "So do you still want to fix the second article at present ? i find the object definition is very concise."
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "fix". This is a brief introduction, as I mention in the article, an in-depth explanation of what objects and classes are will follow.

Thanks for your feedback. Anyone else?
    Authentic Society
    www.authenticsociety.com

Instead of saying so, why don't you just ADVERTISE people with a book by BJARNE STROUSTRUP ? His book has all beginners need in the first few chapters (basic C to C++ then details of OOP C++)

[I actually can not write his name correctly if I didn't see the tag below, I dobn't know how to pronounce his name also]

Thu, don't say so, Bjarne is actually a well-known man, inventor of C++, he has been known to be the world leader of C++ experts. He ABSOLUTELY supports codeguru and any webforums for peer-to-peer chats online as well as knowledge exchange in front of one's computers.

The article is awesome by the way. Thanks I learn something from it too.
    hi,,,

Thanks Khiem.

Thu,
    I don't know how you expect me to take what you say seriously. First of all I do advertise Bjarne Stroustrup's book (Yeah, I know how to spell it, too) on all articles I write about C++. Second, B.S. has written or co-written over 7 books, which book are you referring to? The C++ Programming Language? That book is not targeted at the beginner. His text is thorough and very technical.

There are several reasons for why I don't just advertise The C++ Programming Language book. If you are really curious about this, I will tell you why:

1) I enjoy writing about C++
    2) C++ articles are accessible by people who need a quick solution, without having to buy anything, the content that I write is free and easily found on search engines.
    3) By writing tutorials about C++, I strengthen my knowledge of the language. Have you heard anything about the 10,000 hours of focused practice? It has been scientifically researched, and concluded that to become a master of a craft of some sort you need those 10K hours, or 10 years of deliberate studies or practice.

And last, I monetize the content that I write with Google AdSense so I get paid for my work.
    Authentic Society
    www.authenticsociety.com

Quote Originally Posted by gregsometimes View Post
    Have you heard anything about the 10,000 hours of focused practice? It has been scientifically researched, and concluded that to become a master of a craft of some sort you need those 10K hours, or 10 years of deliberate studies or practice.
    While I agree with the concept in most of your post, the typical ration of hours to years is 2000:1 (not 1000:1 as you quoted). Thus a dedicated person would reach the 10K hours, in just 5 years [40 hrs/wk * 50 weeks].

Also, while I am a BIG proponent of turorials on specific topics, they are in no way a replacement for a structured (ordered) course of learnings. The very "best of breed" are those which are indexed or at least identified by a specific point in one or more recognized courses of learning. For example
    Readers of this material should have already completed chapters 1-X of "??????"
    or at least
    Reeaders should have a working knowledge of AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD before attempting to use this material
    Over the years, I have built of a concordance of many avaiable resources according to this taxonomy.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

TheCPUWizard,
    I agree
    Authentic Society
    www.authenticsociety.com