CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Newb Question

Hybrid View

Newb Question

Alright. So I literally just started learning C++ from a tut I found and I ran into a problem.

#include <iostream.h>
    int main()
    {
    cout<< " What you do is what you get";
    }

This page: http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...d=769&lngWId=3

has said tut on it.

This:

1. #include <iostream.h>
    2. int main()
    3. {
    4. cout<< “ What you do is what you get”;
    5. }

is what I was supposed to type out(without the letters). The only issue I see is that the first quotation mark look different than the last. However, I cannot find this specific symbol on my keyboard. I am in need of assistance.
    Reader warning: This user will probably insult your mother and how she's so fat.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Newb Question

Use the double quote for both of them.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

That tutorial is out of date. You should be using <iostream>, not <iostream.h> anymore.

That's just it. From what I understand that is the key I used. Please do not mistake me for some moron who's never used a computer in his life. If this is, in fact, a learning environment then noob bashing would hardly be good for this forum's image. Not that I am accusing you of doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindley View Post
    That tutorial is out of date. You should be using <iostream>, not <iostream.h> anymore.
    Thank you. However my original issue is still unresolved. I am receiving this error:

`cout' undeclared (first use this function)
    Reader warning: This user will probably insult your mother and how she's so fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Syko View Post
    Thank you. However my original issue is still unresolved. I am receiving this error:

`cout' undeclared (first use this function)
    That wasn't your original issue. I told you what to do with that.

And I explained my predicament. I did, in fact, use the double quote key from what I understand. What I am asking of you is to provide proof opposing that the key I used was the correct one.

And I explained my predicament. I did, in fact, use the double quote key from what I understand. What I am asking of you is to provide proof opposing that the key I used was the correct one.
    Could it be that you're using the right key but the wrong editor ?
    Kurt

My keyboard only has one double quote key. It's the same double quote on both sides of the string. Other than telling you that's the way it works, there's no proof I can offer.

Ah. That may be it. The editor that I am using was downloaded from a link on the same site as the tut I used. I will find another more up to date editor and try this out once more.

How would I go about compiling and running if I used Notepad?

You could use a command-line compiler, naturally. That's not the best choice on Windows though. Just get Visual Studio Express 2008 there, I'd say.

You could use a command-line compiler, naturally. That's not the best choice on Windows though. Just get Visual Studio Express 2008 there, I'd say.
    Or use a hex disk editor and mentally compile the source to the appropriate op-codes and operands (don't forget the PE header!]

For 90% of all situations, there is simply no good practical reason NOT to use a modern IDE. Remember to learn the editor,compiler, and debugger incrementally as you proceed on your path towards knowledge.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Quote Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard View Post
    For 90% of all situations, there is simply no good practical reason NOT to use a modern IDE.
    True on Windows. There are plenty of Linux-based environments where emacs/vi and Makefiles are still the order of the day, with no particular difficulties as a result. Takes longer to learn though.

There are plenty of Linux-based environments where emacs/vi and Makefiles are still the order of the day, with no particular difficulties as a result. Takes longer to learn though.
    Agreed, but with a little work (or getting someones elses work...) emacs has enough extensibility to really BE an IDE....
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Thank you. Your help is much appreciated.