CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Moderate Sized Project

Hello Guys,
    First off I would like to say thank you in advance to any help that I get! Sorry for being the *** that only makes an account to post problems, But being the low level programmer I am I probably couldnt help.

ok heres the fun.

I work for a company and some guys in a certain department want me to try and program them a small webpage that will run C# code (I only know c# and some C++ but I am more current in C#) I have Visual Studio web 2008 Express because I will need an ASP.net page.

The program is difficult because it will be moving files in and out of sharepoint. I acctually scanned a hand drawn visual aid that I will post later on.

ok now for the problem
    ---------------------------------------

The project manager uses Minjet Manger Pro 8, he wants to bypass alot of the sharepoint hierchy using Mindjet which is why i need to write this program.
    He wants to link files off of sharepoint to his mindjet using a Website that I will create using ASP.net.

In other words he wants to be able to click the file in minjet it will open the website "I built", The website will open a window that will allow him to click the file he wants check it out of sharepoint, and when he is done with it use the same website "I Made" and check it back in, without having to sift through all the folders.

His goal is to have all the files in one folder on sharepoint, and have links from Mindjet that point to the files. #1 I dont know if that is even possible to link to files on sharepoint and have something will check it in and out. I will most likely need my website to prompt him for his domain information so it can enter when he decides to use sharepoint, but i am just concentrating on writing the code first.

I should need 4 classes
    to check file in
    check file out
    grab user information
    one to generate the link so mindjet can find the file.

So can anyone give me any Idea on where to even start?

Ive made the site which consists of 2 buttons and 2 textboxs and at the moment nothing really happens past that. so if anyone can sort of help me get the ball rolling it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I will post a visual aid in a few.

Re: Moderate Sized Project

Heres the Visual aid in PDF, Ill post code once I start Writing
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am finding it difficult to follow your post...but, it seems like everything should be straightforward using the SharePoint API?

Are you using WSS or MOSS?
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

WSS,

and yes it is hard to follow, because It is a hard concept to explain, but I am taking it a step at a time, I really want to wrtite the check out class first then once I can get that rolling I think the rest will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush72 View Post
    WSS,

and yes it is hard to follow, because It is a hard concept to explain, but I am taking it a step at a time, I really want to wrtite the check out class first then once I can get that rolling I think the rest will fall into place.
    There really isn't much to write..the WSS API should have all of the functionallity you need without any custom conde, unless you wish to provide a wrapper to hide some of the details....
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions

Try and think of it this way

He wants all the files in one folder on sharepoint,
    wants minjet to have weblinks to each file.

and he wants minjet to check them in and out for him as well

so basically if he wants 001.jpeg he clicks the link on mindjet, then the website I program would openhe chooses to check it out from sharepoint or to upload it from his comp to check it back into sharepoint.

does it make it easier to explain than the huge blob of info at the top?

All you need to check out a file...modify it... and check it back int...
    Code:
    SPSite oSite = new SPSite("http://<sitename>/");   
    SPWeb oWeb = oSite.OpenWeb();  
    SPList oList = oWeb.Lists["Shared Documents"];  
    SPListItem oListItem = oList.Items[0]; 
    oListItem.File.CheckOut();
    oListItem["Name"] = "xyz";  
    oListItem.Update(); 
    oListItem.File.CheckIn("file name has been changed"); 
    oWeb.Dispose();
    A grand total of 9 lines to do EVERYTHING....
    2008, 2009,2010

Awesome, I will continue to work along in it, I googled the API tools and what you sent me might be what I am missing, Thanks Consider it solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush72 View Post
    Awesome, I will continue to work along in it, I googled the API tools and what you sent me might be what I am missing, Thanks Consider it solved!
    No problem, please remember to actually mark threads as resvoled, and also to rate people who have helped you.
    2008, 2009,2010