CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question how to remove flickering when the data is being postback

Hi,
    I am using an update panel in my application which has two dropdownlist boxes in it. The items list for each dropdownlist box is dependent on one another. When I select the item of one dropdrownlist box, the contents of other dropdownlist box is also getting changed. But the page becomes blank for some time and after sometime the contents appear in correct stage. The problem for me is that even though I am using ajax update panel the time taken to refresh is more and flickering occurs. How to remove this flickering from the page? Please provide me help ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Re: how to remove flickering when the data is being postback

I had a similar problem with flickering once. Since you can't control what the browser is doing while you're updating the DOM, what I did is hid the control first, updated it and then made it visible again. You can even have a hidden overlapped image or duplicate control as a sort of "visual placeholder" if you'd like. When you hide the control for updating, show the placeholder and vice versa.

This works well when updating lists or select boxes with large data sets.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, human, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Re: how to remove flickering when the data is being postback

Not a direct answer, but for large chunks of text, I generally put a transparent div over them, use that for a fade out affect by making it opaque. This also gives time for complex ajax scripts to run. Then, once it's returned, replace the data, I fade the div back out (and remember to set it to block=none to avoid strange mouse effects).
    Help from me is always guaranteed!*
    VB.NET code is made up on the spot with VS2008 Professional with .NET 3.5. Everything else is just made up on the spot.
    Please Remember to rate posts, use code tags, send me money and all the other things listed in the "Before you post" posts.

*Guarantee may not be honoured.