CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

Question about .manifest file

I know the .manifest file is for dependensies for my program.. Is this to make sure that the "version" of the msvc dll's that is uses are the same as the "version" of the dll's that my program was built/tested with????

A problem im having.. My program works perfectly in the IDE.. When I put it on to a test machine(no compiler) and copy over the msvc runtime dll's and .manifest file it doesnt run.. Upon closer look I did get it to run with another manifest file from another machine.. The differerence between the .manifest files is the version thats in the manifest.. My program seems to be looking for one version but my msvc runtime dll's from visual studio are a different version.. Any help here??

One last question, Im using the Qt library in my program.. The Google earth application is also using the Qt librarys but it doesnt have a .manifest file with it, why is this?

Re: Question about .manifest file

One last question, Im using the Qt library in my program.. The Google earth application is also using the Qt librarys but it doesnt have a .manifest file with it, why is this?
    Visual Studio is the only one that uses manifest files. Qt doesn't know what a manifest file is.

As Skizmo stated, manifest files are not used at runtime. Try using the Dependency Walker to determine what supporting dlls you'll need to include in order to run your app on another machine.
    Gort...Klaatu, Barada Nikto!

Since you say that the difference is the msvc version that is being used, you should know that the manifest specifies which version to use (as you found out).

The version you need may not be installed on that machine already, so you need to install it. You can find the proper ones that go with your compiler, normally under your Visual Studio directories - there will be one called redist. That folder contains the files you need to redistribute.

Another way is search for vcredist on the Microsoft site.

Hope that helps.
    Be sure to rate those who help!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Karl - WK5M
    PP-ASEL-IA (N43CS)
    PGP Key: 0xDB02E193
    PGP Key Fingerprint: 8F06 5A2E 2735 892B 821C 871A 0411 94EA DB02 E193