CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

online tic tac toe

What do I need to build a Tic Tac Toe game online, in which two peoples can play?

I need to learn its networking side. I mean to what extent I need to learn network programming. Where are C++/CLI tutorials available for networking? Books? Just tell me requirements for connecting the two players...

Any tutorials on C++/CLI network programming which teach me enough so that it would allow me to do all this would be really appreciated

Thanks

Re: online tic tac toe

Have a google for 'C# chat server' - there's loads of responses. These will show you how to do the network communications.

And before you go "I want to do it in C++/CLI and not in C#" you should be able to get a good idea from the C# code regardless - it'll be virtually the same as C++/CLI.

It's not such a bad idea for you to learn C# anyway before learning C++/CLI. As I've said so, so, so many times before it'll prevent you from falling into the 'mixing native C++ with C++/CLI code' trap that just about every beginner falls into (and gets very confused with).

Darwen.
    www.pinvoker.com - PInvoker - the .NET PInvoke Interface Exporter for C++ Dlls.

I don't understand all this networking jargon ...
    I think I need to understand networking then go on to programming. Can you suggest any tutorials?

Because in the tutorials which I found, they mostly assume that the reader is acquainted with concepts of networking that's I way I can't simply understand them. So I thought a tutorial on how network works first would be a great choice..

Networking jargon ? There was no networking phrases in my post apart from "chat server".

I think I need to understand networking then go on to programming
    I'd say you need to understand programming and then go onto networking... you can't run before you can walk.

Just get yourself abreast of how to write simple applications before moving onto specific areas like networking.

And it'll be easier if you learn C# rather than C++/CLI - C++/CLI is more leaned towards advanced use.

Darwen.
    www.pinvoker.com - PInvoker - the .NET PInvoke Interface Exporter for C++ Dlls.

I know programming, but in networking programming they use terms like TCP/IP, sockets, ports, etc. you need to know how it works, right?