CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Explain me,

Explain me,

I'd like to install Linux, as a second OS, I am afraid after the installation, my current OS goes away. I am using Vista and I'd like to have Fedora by side.

Thanks

All the sweetest
    -Kim Tu

Re: Explain me,

If I don't remember wrong it shouldn't be a problem. Installing first Linux and then Windows is another issue, MS is not particulary interested in preserving a Linux installation...

Do you have an empty partition to install Linux on? If so, backup your files just to be sure and goahead and try it. If not you probably want to repartionate and reinstall Windows anyway (or get another disk)
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

you can use VMWare
    Please rate my post if it was helpful for you.
    Java, C#, C++, PHP, ASP.NET
    SQL Server, MySQL
    DirectX
    MATH
    Touraj Ebrahimi
    [toraj_e] [at] [yahoo] [dot] [com]

Using a virtual machine would be good, but also would cause stability and speed issues.

I have installed Linux after Windows many times. Each time, both installations are perfectly fine. However, GRUB (Linux's boot loader) will take over Window's boot loader. In essence, if you uninstall Linux, you will have to repair the boot loader from the Windows repair installation.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

I just installed Kubuntu 64 bit. I opted to make its loader cut my HD in half so half is Windows, half is Linux, worked perfectly fine. Once I reformat it(probably going to buy XP Pro instead of Home like I have) then I'll readjust my partitions.
    "Windows programming is like going to the dentist: You know it's good for you, but no one likes doing it."
    - Andre LaMothe

DLL For Beginners(UPDATED)
    Please use CODE tags
    Rate me if I've helped.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery View Post
    Using a virtual machine would be good, but also would cause stability and speed issues.
    Peej,

I would definately be interested in hearing more, especially since I have been using virtual environments almost exclusively for well over 5 years, and have had very few problems (none of which were insurmountable).

I have used Microsoft (VirtualPC, VirtualServer, Hyper-V) as well as VMWare (Workstation,Server,GSX,ESX) and Citrix/Xen......
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

The virtual software that I have worked with has been to run one incompatible system on another system (ex: Microsoft Windows on a PPC processor). Since the architecture is completely different, not all functionality can be duplicated and at times will throw errors. Virtual environments can be fast, but will never run as fast as native since the virtual machine will be using resources as well.

Yes, I know that not all virtual softwares are meant to interface incompatible pieces, but the ones that I work with, do. But, that is because I work with Mac and PC on a daily basis.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery View Post
    Virtual environments can be fast, but will never run as fast as native since the virtual machine will be using resources as well.
    Even that statement is no longer true. Most "modern" processors actually support the virtualization at the CPU itself (hardware), therefore "normal" code runs at exactly the same speed regardless of VM or not.

I/O still goes through a level of indirection, but even this does not mean that it will be slower. A good case in point is one of my clients who has a LARGE server configuration with a (very expensive) SAN.

Running Linux (specifically Fedora 8) on this box, runs faster than it would on a desktop with the same number of cores, clock speed, and memory speed. This is simply because the "virtual disk" can make use of the SAN, which would not be supported directly by Linux.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

I enjoy using virtual machines. The only problem with using a wm is that they don't have 3d acceleration for linux... yet. I have used vmware lots of times to try different distros and had great success, but if you are serious about trying to use linux with 3d support, I would recommend installing it to your hard drive.

Remember linux isn't windows. For ex, It has different methods for installing apps:

1. You use Add/Remove Software under adminstration.

2. add a repo that contains the program. go back to step 1

3. visit the site and download a package for the os type while making sure your os has the dependencies in the repo before the install.

4. download a pre-built bundle that will typically run after you check to make sure the dependencies are meet.

4. get the source and compile it while making sure you have the dependencies first.

Usually the dependencies will be resolved by the installer, but if it fails, you will have to find them yourself and install them by using the same steps above.

dependencies are shared libs that programs link to. linux is built around this ideal, so get use to it....

I would read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ for more info about how to use linux and not assuming it will be just like windows.

linux is great, but not for the faint of heart.. yet . It takes time and effort to learn a new os.

I enjoy gnome with compiz fusion. it is.... amazing.

This is what my desktop looks like. I have modified it a little since then, but still close
    http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?im...eenshotzf5.png
    Last edited by Joeman; January 19th, 2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added link to image
    0100 0111 0110 1111 0110 0100 0010 0000 0110 1001 0111 0011 0010 0000 0110 0110 0110 1111 0111 0010
    0110 0101 0111 0110 0110 0101 0111 0010 0010 0001 0010 0001 0000 0000 0000 0000
    0000 0000 0000 0000

I've used Virtual PC 2007 for the past few months, and like it a lot. One of my colleauges tried to install a flavor of Linux, but hosed it, because he didn't create the Virtual Drive correctly, so after the first reboot, it was GONE!
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!