CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Teach Class Wizard recognizing custom event and creating automatically custom handler

I created a custom CWnd derived control, a BUTTON, like CButton but with extended custom functionalities.
    Is there any way to let ClassWizard automatically handle the BN_CLICKED event like in a normal button control?

And is there any way to let ClassWizard automatically create handlers to events defined into the custom control, like BN_CLICKED? For example, let's say the button sends the BN_MOUSE_OVER event message, is it possible to teach ClassWizard in resource editor to show in the events of the control, the BN_MOUSE_OVER event, and to create the skeleton of the OnMouseOver function, all automatically like it does for BN_CLICKED events?
    - Buzzyous -

Re: Teach Class Wizard recognizing custom event and creating automatically custom han

AFAIK, it's not possible to "teach" the Wizard doing that for a custom control, then no way... need a little sweat to map yourself the message handlers.
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

Re: Teach Class Wizard recognizing custom event and creating automatically custom han

Ok thank you.

Anyway, I sent from mu button custom control the message BN_CLICKED in the following way:

Code:
    //In the control class, MyButton. 
    //When left mouse button is released, over the button, after it having been pressed:

GetParent()->SendMessage(BN_CLICKED);

//In the CDialog derived parent class, the message map:

BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(ButtonTryDialog, CDialog)
    	//{{AFX_MSG_MAP(ButtonTryDialog)
    	ON_WM_PAINT()
    	ON_BN_CLICKED(IDC_CUSTOM2, OnButton)
    	//}}AFX_MSG_MAP
    END_MESSAGE_MAP()
    The OnButton only AfxMessageBoxes a text, "Pressed". It doesn't show... What I'm doing wrong?
    - Buzzyous -

BN_CLICKED is not a message itself, but a notification sent via WM_COMMAND message when the user clicks the control.
    Ovidiu

Okay, it's clear now.

I sent WM_COMMAND, following the MSDN documentation indications, as follows:

Code:
    	GetParent()->SendMessage(WM_COMMAND,BN_CLICKED<<16 | GetDlgCtrlID(),(long)m_hWnd);
    It works, even omitting the last m_hWnd parameter. This is technically correct, but is conceptually correct? Just to deeper understanding...
    - Buzzyous -

Technically it's correct, even LPARAM partameter of WM_COMMAND is NULL because a command can also be sent for a menu item or an accelerator (as for an example you can map the same command handler for a button control, for a menu item, and for an accelerator keystroke).
    Conceptually, what you want to accomplish is not quite OK, because normally a notification (in our case BN_CLICKED) is expected in the parent window when the user does something (in our case, user clicks in a button).
    Ovidiu

Yes, youìre right, but I send this message exactly when the left click is released from the custom button area, and if it was pressed there. So this message is sent when the user presses the button.

Thank you, couldn't rate 'cause already done too recentlu

- Buzzyous -

Unfortunately, adding custom controls and handlers to class wizard disappeared around the time of Visual Studio 2003. However, the ability to create handlers is still possible if you are willing to craft your own member variable wizard. This is accomplished by writing a Visual Studio add-in. As an example, please refer to ClassWiz.
    Gort...Klaatu, Barada Nikto!

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzyous View Post
    Okay, it's clear now.

I sent WM_COMMAND, following the MSDN documentation indications, as follows:

Code:
    	GetParent()->SendMessage(WM_COMMAND,BN_CLICKED<<16 | GetDlgCtrlID(),(long)m_hWnd);
    It works, even omitting the last m_hWnd parameter. This is technically correct, but is conceptually correct? Just to deeper understanding...
    That fact it sometimes worked for you does NOT mean it is correct.
    Moreover, it is completely wrong for Win64 system where LPARAM is NOT the same as long and WPARAM is NOT the same as UINT (see Windows Data Types

The correct code should look like:
    Code:
    GetParent()->SendMessage(WM_COMMAND, MAKEWPARAM(GetDlgCtrlID(), BN_CLICKED), (LPARAM)m_hWnd);
    Victor Nijegorodov