CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPL Question

Re: GPL Question

Quote Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard View Post
    ....(which noes NOT have to be ones real/birth name).
    What is the purpose for using multiple names except the real one ? [Runaway from business taxation, police, enemies or cheats on people]. I don't see the positive side of legal copyright with a fake name.

Quote Originally Posted by Belzeski
    What is the purpose for using multiple names except the real one ?
    A company name, perhaps?
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Why not just use your real name? It would probably be best to do that in the copyright notice anyway, so you might as well require that attribution be made using your real name instead of a pseudonym.
    Hmm ... A Google search turned up 426 000 results on my real name.. and less than 10 refer to me ... I might not have a common surname, however my forename is a family name.. I'm doing the geneology for my family and have ~100 000 members, dating right back too 1500's .. and there are about 5 000 with my name ..
    However a Google search on "GremlinSA" returns 3 380 000 results ... And most of them refer to me ..
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard View Post
    Lasterlight is correct (speakng from a USA perspective, other locations may vary). Things need to be copyright under a legal name (which noes NOT have to be ones real/birth name).
    I'm not looking for fame and fortune ... Only recognition.. anyways, who is going to see the comment 'Code by GremlinSA' in the code except for the programmer(s) who work on it .. I dont ask for a visible credit in the splash or about pages..Also the end users dont care who's code it is, as long as it works..

But theres the point here... Software that i write for clients is under copyright to my company.. A registered company where i'm the primary shareholder. Software that i wrote privately, and posted on a public forum, is not longer under copyright laws... The AUP takes care of that in several places..
    AUP
    • By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any other form of communication through this service (collectively "the content"), you are granting Jupitermedia Corp., its successors and assignees, a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to use, adapt, transmit, publicly perform or display any such content on the site to which it was contributed (or successor site). In plain English, you allow us to continue to display your contributions to the site. We won't do anything else with them, however.
    • You will not post any copyrighted material, nor link to any copyrighted material (with the exception of publicly available sites and pages that the legal owners of the copyrights have created to make that material freely available to the general public), unless that copyright is owned by you or by these Forums.
    However now this does not supersede (looked it up ) the GPL License ..

But what it does say in plain english, If you hold copyright on the code and post it on the forum, you give up your copyright to that code.. (And it only applys to the code posted, and not the project that you took the code from). However if you posting code that is under copyright to a third party, you are violating that copyright, and can stand for prosecution.
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA
    Software that i wrote privately, and posted on a public forum, is not longer under copyright laws... The AUP takes care of that in several places..
    No, you have interpreted the AUP wrongly, in my lay opinion.

But what it does say in plain english, If you hold copyright on the code and post it on the forum, you give up your copyright to that code.. (And it only applys to the code posted, and not the project that you took the code from).
    You are not required to give up your copyright to the code that you post. Rather, you license the code that you post to "Jupitermedia Corp., its successors and assignees".

However if you posting code that is under copyright to a third party, you are violating that copyright, and can stand for prosecution.
    Posting code that is under someone else's copyright is perfectly fine if you are licensed to do so. You only infringe copyright if you do something that is the exclusive right of the copyright holder despite having no permission to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    But what it does say in plain english, If you hold copyright on the code and post it on the forum, you give up your copyright to that code.. (And it only applys to the code posted, and not the project that you took the code from). However if you posting code that is under copyright to a third party, you are violating that copyright, and can stand for prosecution.
    No, you have interpreted the AUP wrongly, in my lay opinion.
    I may not have expessed my self correctly.. but i dont think i've interpreted it incorrectly..

You are not required to give up your copyright to the code that you post. Rather, you license the code that you post to "Jupitermedia Corp., its successors and assignees".
    The Code is now on a public forum, and if someone uses your code, as is, in there licensed and chargable application, You cannot claim royalties from them.. You've lost the right to claim copyright on the code..
    If you retained copyright on the code there'd be thousands of people owing me, Jupitermedia and hundreds of others on CG royalties. (I accept Paypal )
    Posting code that is under someone else's copyright is perfectly fine if you are licensed to do so. You only infringe copyright if you do something that is the exclusive right of the copyright holder despite having no permission to do.
    This may not have been expressly said, but it was implied in my original post.. Note that you also need to post that it is under copyright to the third party, and who the third party is..

Many of us here on CG do not help others for the fame and fortune, but rather for the little acnowledgements that are made..
    A little note " Thanks to So & So from Codeguru for this code" is all we really ask in return.. If it was for the monatary return, then we'd be on RentACoder, and not CG..

I have dozens of little notes like that all over my code.. If i get help from CG, I add a note to the code, so that in future, if anyone wants to know anything about that piece of code.. they can trace it back on CG...
    Last edited by GremlinSA; January 30th, 2009 at 06:06 AM.
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

The Code is now on a public forum, and if someone uses your code, as is, in there licensed and chargable application, You cannot claim royalties from them.. You've lost the right to claim copyright on the code..
    If you retained copyright on the code there'd be thousands of people owing me, Jupitermedia and hundreds of others on CG royalties. (I accept Paypal )
    No, your argument is the same as saying: "if you post code on a public forum on the Internet, it automatically enters the public domain". If this were true, then the AUP's clause on licensing would be redundant, since Jupitermedia could simply point out that whatever you posted was in the public domain, so there was no need to license it from you in the first place.

Rather, as I noted in post #11, "maybe a court of law will see it as you implicitly gave them permission to do so, or that it is fair use". If not, I posit that it is true that "there'd be thousands of people owing me, Jupitermedia and hundreds of others on CG royalties", assuming that we wish to pursue such cases of copyright infringement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12