CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

Execution profile wanted of 3rd party app that uses VC++ 9 runtime

I'm an end user (with 30 yrs prog exp) of an app that has been publicly distributed. Sometimes the app appears to be in an infinite loop (or at least one of the threads in it). Click radio button A and CPU is at 4%. Click radio button B and the CPU jumps to 90% and there is no useful processing going on. The panel revealed by radio button B has buttons in it that will set off useful work. Click radio button A and the CPU is again at 4%. Task manager shows that it is the app that is using the CPU.

The problem is happening on a machine that has the following installed: Windows 2000 SP4, .NET V2 SP1, VC++ 9 runtime

The app uses VC++ 9 runtime. I'd love to know what the app is doing (in the most general sense) after radio button B is clicked. I'd like to pass back to the developers the name of the routine or even some address that would help the devs with tracking down the problem ... at least give them a place to start.

Once radio button B is clicked where is this thing spending it's time?

Any suggestions or links about methods or other free or trial tools to be used in this effort would be greatly appreciated. The app is a free app that several hundred million people have downloaded over the years. Helping these devs would indirectly help a LOT of people.

I saw the info below on another website ...

... Title: Profiling in Visual C++ Express

... Subject: Even the Professional Edition of VC++ 2008
    ......lacks profiling support. It is in the very
    ......expensive VC++ Team System (which is, however,
    ......available as a trial download or CD).

And another thread in this very forum that was posted only a short time ago asks about profiling and the answer given is also "Visual Studio Team System Profiler."

[[LATER - Visual Studio Team System will not run on that box, it is Win2K]]

Even if I can only get the address of the whatever it is that is sucking up all that CPU time it could be a help to the developers.

I would only need the tool(s) for a very limited time so trialware would be fine.
    Last edited by mrpete; January 27th, 2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: New information came in so the post was changed quite a bit ...