CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

STL List Represented as a Static Array in Debugger, how?

So when I use the STL::LIST class when I am debugging the output in the debugger for the list appears as a static array which makes debugging said list a whole lot easier! On the other hand, I have been implementing my own templated list.h for similar purposes but for more customization and the output of in the debugger is very much like a normal list where the next element is available but you must open that one and the next one and so on. This makes debugging much harder than if I were to use a static array but the advantages of dynamic lists are too great!

Anyways, does visual studio handle special objects in special ways? Is it possible to write special debugging handlers or is the functionality built into the stl::list class?

Thanks!
    Idanz

Re: STL List Represented as a Static Array in Debugger, how?

Quote Originally Posted by idanbeck View Post
    Is it possible to write special debugging handlers or is the functionality built into the stl::list class?
    Yes, they're called visualizers; see autoexp.dat in ./Common7/Packages/Debugger/ for further information.

Re: STL List Represented as a Static Array in Debugger, how?

ah! Sometimes its just as simple as knowing what to enter into the all knowing google.

Thank you so much!
    Idan