CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

Xeon is offline Want me to ban you?! Power Poster

Cool Is this a wise choice?

Considering that folks like Marie Mih can post threads on her boyfriend problem in this forum, I'm gonna post mine too (no, not bf problems in my case ).

After screwing my own life years ago when my thinking wasn't mature enough, I've decided to go back to the world of IT.

Been working as a admin coordinator (filing papers, doing e-mails with clients, and those clerk-chores) for years, and now I'm sick of it.

Low salary, low pay, low life, my balls shrunk to nothingness, chicks don't see you as hubby material etc......I'm so effing sick of it. I feel like a zombie everyday doing crap I hate.

I've decided to take up this Diploma in InfoComm Technology course which teaches the following modules:

* Discrete Mathematics (I think I'm gonna get owned by this one)
    * Information Systems and the Organisations
    * Fundamentals of Programming
    * Introduction to Computer & Operating Systems
    * Database Design & Modelling
    * Introduction to Software Engineering
    * Object-Oriented Programming
    * Data Communication and Networking
    * Web Applications Development
    * Developing Business Applications

It's a 20-month night-time course for working adults (about 600 hours).

My aim is to get a solid foundation in IT first, then specialize in web development (HTML, CSS, AJAX, PHP etc.). I would like to be a web programmer.

However, I'm already 25 yrs now and after completing this course, I'll be 27 yrs old. At 27, it's hard to switch to an IT career, right? (besides, this course is not even a Bachelor degree)

And if I were to start learning web development after completing this course, I would probably be 31 yrs old by the time I get comfortable with web stuff like AJAX or PHP.

At that kind of age, I seriously doubt I can even find a job in IT.

Alternatively, maybe I can forget this diploma course and instead sign-up for individual web development classes (like HTML-CSS course, then JavaScript course, then PHP course, then AJAX course etc)?

In case you're wondering, my country doesn't have anything like a "Diploma in Web Development" (actually, there is one, but it's conducted through online learning and it's very basic; I would rather buy books and read instead; I prefer going to real classes cos' I don't have self-discipline to teach myself such stuff )

If anyone has some advice, I'm willing to hear.
    Heck, I've already pulled down my briefs!
    Last edited by Xeon; February 26th, 2009 at 10:24 AM.
    "Hell is calling for you!" - Rufus, from Valkyrie Profile 2 : Silmeria

"I'm getting tired of you devils.....finishing strike......Final Blast!" - Arngrim, from Valkyrie Profile 2 : Silmeria