CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: C++, C# or C?

C++, C# or C?

I've been trying to decide which programming lanquage to learn. I have been trying to learn programming for awhile couple years now, but I never really commited to it at all. Well I NEVER have commited to really anything and say Forget it and sit down and do everything possiable. Now it comes down to which lanquage to learn C, C++ or C Sharp, does anyone have any ideas or just thoughts they would like to share?

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: C++, C# or C?

C# has more in common with Java than it does with either C or C++. That's my understanding, anyway, I don't really know much about it.

There's some overlap between C and C++, but the big difference between them is that C++ allows cleaner and more intuitive code, at least from my point of view, which C allows you to get deeper into the specifics of exactly what's happening.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

It depends what you want to do. C# combined with .Net is going to be the easiest to get up to speed on quickly, especially for developing full blown Windows apps, and it's pretty marketable right now, so that would be my choice, with C++ second.

C++ is pretty much a superset of C, so if you learn C++, you wouldn't have a whole lot of trouble picking up C if you needed it.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Writing C always feels like writing C++ with one hand tied behind my back. But I know people who really like it.

I guess it all depends on the type of application you intend to develop. If you are writing database/network related software, go for C# as it cut development time tremendously; if you are developing graphics related apps such as 3d games, go for C/C++ or even with some inline Assembly, which can achieve higher run-time performance.

Another thing I feel is you will tend to learn more of memory management stuff with C/C++ with the absence of garbage collector.

I think you need to study C first, after that C++ or C#, which depends on your application as the man above advised