CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

How to Interpret this?

Hello my friends. I'm talking to a potential client about a project he's interested in me doing. He says that he wants a website that has the ability for a user to upload sound files and other data. The files will be stored on a MS SQL Server. The website will display information from the database as well as allowing you to listen to the sounds that have been uploaded. I thought that the files would be uploaded by someone visiting the website clicking somewhere on the website, navigate the file system, select the file and click a save or upload button or something like that.

But now I'm understanding that what the potential client wants, is for me to write something(API/BLL) that will be used by a program that HE writes, which will upload the data to the web server. I will have to write this program, and a test program that proves that it works and do the website itself.

This is what he wrote when clarifying something for me:
    "1. There is no need for a Smartphone for this project, only create a website.

2. The API isn’t delivered by me, but by you.
    I want de ability to write a desktop/smart-phone application that will connect to the server. (talking with the BLL not directly with the DB).
    I do need a simple test program that shows that it works.
    Does it answer everything?"

Can someone please tell me what it is that I'm supposed to do or write as far as the API(which includes layers –bll)he mentions? I'm hoping that someone can read that message of his and tell it to me in the way we talk. Or maybe better said, I'm hoping someone can come down to my level and say it the way I can understand. Will someone explain it so that an idiot can understand?

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: How to Interpret this?

You need to continue talking to your customer so it's clear what the customer is asking or looking for.

At the end of the day, you will be on the hook for the delivery and any input we may have isn't going to matter.

Re: How to Interpret this?

Okiee Dokie.