CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

CSS Margin Problem in Safari and Chrome

Hi my site, www.johndesu.com has an issue where a margin appears in Google Chrome and Safari. There is an 8px margin that appears. I want to get rid of it. The site displays fine in Firefox and IE.

Thanks,
    John

Re: CSS Margin Problem in Safari and Chrome

[ moved ]
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Every browser acts a little bit different than others when it comes to the body's default settings. Add the following to your CSS.

Code:
    body {margin: 0px;}

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery View Post
    Every browser acts a little bit different than others when it comes to the body's default settings. Add the following to your CSS.

Code:
    body {margin: 0px;}
    i have done that but the problem still persists

You might want to do the same with your #main element. Or even specify it for the default of div tags.

i added it to the #main and specified it as the default but it still doesn't want to work for some reason

After looking at it further, you have something overwritting the CSS of the margin property of the body tag. I'm not sure what it is, but if you add style="margin: 0px;" within the body tag, you will see that border go away.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery View Post
    After looking at it further, you have something overwritting the CSS of the margin property of the body tag. I'm not sure what it is, but if you add style="margin: 0px;" within the body tag, you will see that border go away.
    thanks for all the help. everything seems to be working fine now

Ok so that solved half the problem. Yet again in both Safari and Chrome the footer is not displaying correctly. This is probably another CSS issue, and yet again I am stumped.

Any more of your wisdom PeejAvery?

Thanks in advance

Just as something was causing the other styles to be re-written, this is most likely the case. There are only two options. 1. Remove the CSS causing the re-write. 2. Put the CSS you want last, or in the actual HTML element tags.

I figured out the footer issue, but I don't understand why so many things are being re-written in safari and chrome only. My text formatting is also not working for some reason.

I've only had time lately to work on this a little because of finals, so any more help would be much appreciated.

the main problem in these days that each browser has its own style defaults for the elements. So to fight this it is a good practice to reset these values. So each main CSS I write begins with:
    Code:
    html, body, table, th, tr, td, p, img, hr, ul, li, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, div, form, fieldset {padding:0; margin:0; border:none;}
    and later I just override the values when it's needed.
    Wanna install linux on a vacuum cleaner. Could anyone tell me which distro sucks better?

I had a nightmare last night. I was dreaming that I’m 64-bit and my blanket is 32-bit and I couldn’t cover myself with it, so I’ve spent the whole night freezing. And in the morning I find that my blanket just had fallen off the bed. =S (from: bash.org.ru)

//always looking for job opportunities in AU/NZ/US/CA/Europe :P
    willCodeForFood(Arrays.asList("Java","PHP","C++","bash","Assembler","XML","XHTML","CSS","JS","PL/SQL"));

USE [code] TAGS! Read this FAQ if you are new here. If this post was helpful, please rate it!

I found http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/reset/

This gives defaults across browsers and seems to have fixed many of my problems.
    Thanks