CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thumbs up VB6.0 will live until Windows 7!

Our dying VB6.0 will still live until Windows 7, have a look at this!

This should be good news to all VB6.0 fanatics!

Re: VB6.0 will live until Windows 7!

Looks like it is not saying until Windows 7 but rather through Windows 7. IOW it should continue to work with all future releases of Vista and Windows 7

There are still so many number of applications around that were developed in VB 6. Some of the applications are big enough that even the rewriting costs will be higher, so it is a good idea to keep it going for more time.

If that's true, and enough requests come in, then they could just as well roll it out as Vista SP2
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I don't quite get it. If they say VB6 IDE is supported under Vista, why did so many guys here at CG report problems when trying to install VB6 under Vista?

I will run into this problem soon. Yet I don't have vista, but if we can't get XP anymore I definitely will HAVE to switch to Vista or wait for Windows 7...

I did not have much of a problem under vista. Its true that when I tried to install it the same way as I would have under XP it did not work and took a bit of research to find the answer but it boiled down to a need to install SP6 rather than SP5 and run as admin. Everythign seemed to work just fine when i did it the right way.

Not the x64 bit version of Vista. Never tried XP x64, though.

Vista x32 has a problem with a few controls, which exist in Vista with the same names as the VB6 versions, thus producing issues. VB6 setup.exe versions lose every time, with no reason given.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I can contribute my experience with XP x64:
    I had to use it, because the target system is always x64 and for final debugging I often have to use single stepping in the IDE on the final target.
    There is no problem with XP x64 if the latest updates of the windows installer are installed.
    VB6 setup runs perfectly then and after applying SP6, there you are.

I was prompted to install SP6 (again) so I did. I doubt anything new came up, so I wonder why? No real changes noticed one way or another.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I did not have much of a problem under vista. Its true that when I tried to install it the same way as I would have under XP it did not work and took a bit of research to find the answer but it boiled down to a need to install SP6 rather than SP5 and run as admin. Everythign seemed to work just fine when i did it the right way.
    I cannot subscribe that. Since a year I have tried different time to install VB6.0 on my Sony Vaio which comes with Vista home. I could install VB6 but it doesn't start it comes with an errormessage only. Trying to install SP6 fails in the first few seconds of the installation process. It starts and you are able to select the language then an erro pops up. Unable to install this setup because of an unrecognised internel problem. Something like that.
    Just in the very beginning of trying to install it a message comes up, which informs you that there are known issues and a link to MSDN, but I could not find any further help following that link, so I still cannot use VB 6.0 on Vista.

Additional : On 12 of feb 2009 a Security update cames up which cancled the usage of Msflxgrd.ocx in any Access2003 VBA code.
    Lots of messages on the web regarding that, but no help from MSand also no detailed explanation why this control was flagged in the registry now and should not be used anymore, which sort of security risc cames up there. I installed the SP6 version of that control, but it still refuses to work. Removing the entry in the Registry gets the control workable again, but what is the security risk now to still use it ?
    Nobody knows.

And now I hear that VB6.0 will still live to the end of windows 7
    haha. Curious message Should I still start to create new projects using VB6.0 and in some few years when windows 8 comes on the market I'll hear - we have already told in 2009 that there is no further installment of the VB runtime after windows 7. Forget it. I'm still supporting my old code, but I really will no longer do any new code in VB6.0, its too risky
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

From my understanding when MS says that VB6 will live through Windows 7, they probably mean that any applications that were developed using VB6 would work on the new Windows. The support for VB6 IDE was removed long time back (I guess 2005).

I am under impression that VB6 runtime would be available on Windows 7 too which will enable VB 6 apps to run properly without much of trouble.

As we are being corralled into using new MS Operating Systems and development tools, the time will come when we no longer have good old Windows XP on a current machine

This becomes a pain when trying to support VB6/ older sites

I have VB6 IDE loaded on Vista Home Premier and it lets me do everything BUT compile all my software if it contains -

1) Winsock
    2) Fax Commands

So basically it is useless - I still need a Windows XP PRO Machine out on site

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

I have set up a Virtual machine using Microsofts Virtual Machine software, with Windows XP Loaded.

The virtual machine is on an external hard drive, so now I can go to any site, or connect to any machine, install the small Virtual machine manager, and suddenly my machine can process anything I have on my Virtual XP Machine

This may be a good solution for some of us developers who are having to support previous versions and even a mix of operating systems

I'll report on the MS Virtual Machine experience as I get more familiar with its possibilities / limitations

This should sort out your VAIO problem Jonny, I would think - you won't need to fight with Vista - just run an XP VM on the VAIO !

One of the great things about MS VM is that you can have any number of virtual machines on your drive, and you get to pick which one you want to run (if any). In addition, the Virtual machine can also see the hard drive of the machine you are running VM on so copying/saving data is no problem.

So, for example, you could have the following Virtual machines - all setup and ready to go on an external drive (if this is what you wanted to do)

- Win98 - VB3
    - Win XP - VB6
    - Win XP - VS2003
    - Win XP - VS2005
    - Win XP - VS2008
    - Vista Home - VB6 / VS2008
    - Vista Business - VS2005
    - Vista Ultimate - VS2008
    - Linux ??

And all with any combination of MS Office Software

Really opens up the possibilities of testing in a real environment and being able to carry development software with you on-site, and have it run on the client machine, with their data

(Virtually )

As for the flexgrid control, looks like it isn't a problem:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ecc639a8be14c5

But, I don't use Access 2003. and never used VB6 controls in a webpage, internal or not
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Quote Originally Posted by George1111 View Post
    This should sort out your VAIO problem Jonny, I would think - you won't need to fight with Vista - just run an XP VM on the VAIO !
    This was one of the first things I tried. At very first I tried to get original Vista OS CD from Sony but they refused. System is already preinstalled and I can use the hidden copy if I have to reinstall it. I told them I want to do a separate Partition on my harddisc for using XP, they still refused t give me original software. As it is a Vaio, ( and I never again would buy one) they have done some adaptions of the OS to this 'multimedia' machine and therefore they oly can grant if the machine is used as it is.
    The next was to install Virtual machine. But I cannot use the prozessors hardware support for virtual machines, because the Sony version of Vista doesn't allow. ( I asked for how to change this behaviour but they also refused this.. The support answer was something like... This machine is not built for being used as a virtual machine its for multimedia like watching video, music ... ) so it is really terrible slow. If you type something, you have to wait until it comes to the screen and thats terrible. (Sony PCG 281 M - looks nice, but nothing for professional usage, forget it )
    So my answer to this is .. I need another machine and ... Sony - never again !

You are right the possibilities of virtual machines are great especial for softwaretesting. But my next machine will be a quad core and manual built so it should have all I want to have on it.And it will be there soon
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    As for the flexgrid control, looks like it isn't a problem:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ecc639a8be14c5

But, I don't use Access 2003. and never used VB6 controls in a webpage, internal or not
    Yea Thx a lot, great reference. In this reference you will find a reference to a VB 6.0 SP6 rollup and this rollup was installable even on my Vista machine and solved the problem regarding the flexgrid. It now also works on my vista machines in Access 2003
    The rollup adress is here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

It solved this main issue , but my hope it will also solve my VB IDE probem isn't fullfilled. So I'll have to do some more research how to get VB 6 working on Vista.

The bad thing is the VB help will never again work on Vista, isn't it ?
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast