CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: VB6.0 will live until Windows 7!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Look at the sticker on the bottom of the computer. It will give serial # and model #
    Its exactly what I said. I looked to Sony Europe and here it is. Look. Sorry its german but it shows that this number exits but the only updates they have here are some updates on mulitmedia programs but no drivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Found it! http://support.vaio.sony.de/download...839&os=7&osl=1

Deutschland? (Using Firefox 3.0.3)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Found it! http://support.vaio.sony.de/download...839&os=7&osl=1

Deutschland? (Using Firefox 3.0.3)
    No Austria but's the same language.
    The bad thing is for example as I have problems with the DVD since the beginning ( all DVD's bigger 4,7 GB are not read so iMHO the doublelayer doesn't work ) I tried to use the firmware for it as they offer one on this page, but their page supports a driver for a blue ray and the real DVD obviously isn't a blue ray so trying to install it tells me wrong firmware, cannot find a device like that. So this page doesn't reallymatch to my machine . But as I stillhave Garantie I'll really now call them for Service and maybe they will be able to do something at least on this DVD issue. Then after Garantie I'll try to change System. Thx for your helpso far ;I'll come back to you after spreading... you know
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Shouldn't need any driver for the DVD to be able to boot, and load the Vista DVD. Once you do that, you can load the drivers one by one.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Shouldn't need any driver for the DVD to be able to boot, and load the Vista DVD. Once you do that, you can load the drivers one by one.
    hat wsn't the point I wanted to tell you. My idea about them is, if tey even are unable to have the correct DVD driver in the list for my machine, how can i be sure all the other drivers will really fit to my machine. I'm no more trusting them. Thats my point
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

Well, I'd put a different drive in, format it, and take a shot. Worst case scenario, you won't find all drivers (today) but that doesn't mean they won't make one next week.

There is even the Driver SDK!
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Well, I'd put a different drive in, format it, and take a shot. Worst case scenario, you won't find all drivers (today) but that doesn't mean they won't make one next week.

There is even the Driver SDK!
    Hey I got it repaired in Guarantie and then I did the latest Vists updates they have and...
    wonder oh wonder I could reinstall VB 6.0 and SP60 and it worked. And also MSDN help works correct and the only additional thing I had to do was in the properties I used 'XP-(SP2) Compatibility ' and I had switched off all Virus scanners, Firewalls and all this Vista security staff as long as I installed the program. Thx a lot for providing information as VB was lost for me on this machine since more then one year now
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

Then we might see you more frequently in the VB6 forums, Jonny.

Quote Originally Posted by WoF View Post
    Then we might see you more frequently in the VB6 forums, Jonny.
    You are right, if you are able to use VB ,the fun to do it comes back.
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

What version? I have Ultimate x64 and it has registry problems with a lot of apps from my samples
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

What version? I have Ultimate x64 and it has registry problems with a lot of apps from my samples
    The only thing which is still a problem is this strange Vista filehandling. Can you explain why there are some things like Compatibility folders in the filesystem when using VB code and how to handle this strange behaviour. This seems to copy my file from the original place to a strange place unknown where it is and named like 'Compatibility Folder. And only when copying this one to my stick I got the data with the changed data. ( Changed by my VB code )
    What are MS designers think, designing such a strange way of Folder handling. And if I'm accessing the same data with a VB 6.0 program and also a newer C# program which path needs to be set in both programs so I always get access to the accurate data, independing which program I'm accessing the data.
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

Those are VIRTUALIZED FOLDERS, and programmers shouldn't be writing to there anyways. \PROGRAMDATA is OK, though. Just create the data files in your own folder there.

That's how x64 knows. I have Program Files (x86) as well as PF in my root folder. All VB apps are on a different partition.
    Last edited by dglienna; March 25th, 2009 at 08:35 PM.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Those are VIRTUALIZED FOLDERS, and programmers shouldn't be writing to there anyways. \PROGRAMDATA is OK, though. Just create the data files in your own folder there.

That's how x64 knows. I have Program Files (x86) as well as PF in my root folder. All VB apps are on a different partition.
    I never wrote to that files. The VB program which was installed with the standard setup does. I don't know why. The program had a setup form where you can choose in which file the ms access mdb should be stored. And it seems to be in the folder, to which it was copied. Program could read and write to access without troubles. But trying to copy the file to a stick for exporting the data to another machine, that makes the troubles.

I really wonder what are MS designers thinking when doing such a strange decision. And if that is virtualized only where are the original files to be found and what really to do if I'm using an old VB application and a new C# application on the same access file. How to set the path to the database in both programs. ? Because this is the next thing that will happen, that two different applications are usig the same database both on a vista OS.
    This really makes me angry and for all this things I think its totally useless to work in VB anymore. All the enviroment around are going to make troubles to that one who still tries to use VB. Such sort of a OS design I would simple name sabotage.
    Whats the reason behind to do such strange things. Anyone knows ?

And when using \Programdata hmm how would this look in German maybe 'Programm Dateien' but in this section is there no such virtual file system created ? There are so much strange changes done in Vista which really are not userfriendly as you cannot do it following your instinct.

This IMHO is why it is a Flop an OS needs to be intuitive, and its really contraproductive when you have to buy a book and learn about an OS to be able to use your programs on it. I would accept to learn about the OS if I want to code near t the OS using all its specfics. But doing simple databse applications and needing to learn a new OS every second year, NO. As I'm using some programs which are originally in English and others which are in german the OS now has created two different files named 'Dokumente' and another one named MyDocuments, I tried to get them both together because its idiotic all the time to need to look if something I did is found in 'Dokumente' or in My Documents'. For being secured against loss of data I first tried to rename the 'MyDocuments' Folder to 'old Documents' and looked what the system will do. The result: Now I have three of them 'Dokumente' MyDocuments' and 'Old Documents' Vista simple recreated the My Documents file' They obviousl tried to handle the labguage specific Foldernames and the whole thing runs into troubles - troubles -troubles for the user.
    Last edited by JonnyPoet; March 26th, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

I think you CAN move My Documents, but not by just copying it.

I don't know what language of Vista you installed, but I'd think the OS would call it MY DOCUMENTS for all languages

If you have PROGRAM FILES and PROGRAM FILED (x86), you should also have a PROGRAMDATA folder. (That's where all my installed apps have their INSTALL files)

As far as VISTA being different, don't expect it to change back. Every new OS is different, and Windows 7 is pretty similar to Vista, and W2K8, etc. There is a lot of shared codebase.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Just figured out that Visual Studio needs to run with ELEVATED PRIVILEGES in order to access the registry. Every time I'd click on a VBP file, anything with one of my user controls would error 'Accessing the Registry'

They'd run, anyways. Starting as Admin works without error.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast