CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: VB6.0 will live until Windows 7!

I've been thinking about moving to either VB.NET or Delphi ... but just today I heard about Gambas, initially a VB6-like environment for Linux which now also is available for Windows.

Any experience around with Gambas?

See http://www.gambasforum.com/index.php for more info.

I cringe when hear things like "VB6-like" especially when used in conjunction with other platforms. Biggest question I'd have is the commitment these people have to the environment... or is it going to go the way of RealBASIC? Something that hasn't been updated in some time, and is still not up to the level of capabilities that VB had, and can't run ActiveX objects.

In fact, the forums say "This site was formerly run by Rohnny." ... which tells me it isn't anymore... and it doesn't look like there has been a release in close to a year. To me that's not good.

Hmmm... digging a little more, the forums seem active at least...

Meanwhile... there's also Mono, which is C# on Linux....

So take it for what it is... just be careful of projects that seem promising, but never quite take flight.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.-I also subscribe to all threads I participate, so there's no need to pm when there's an update.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help - how to remove eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to???
    * On Error Resume Next is error ignoring, not error handling(tm). * Use Offensive Programming, not Defensive Programming.
    "There is a major problem with your code, and VB wants to tell you what it is.. but you have decided to put your fingers in your ears and shout 'I'm not listening!'" - si_the_geek on using OERN
    MVP '06-'10

Resolved Re: VB6.0 will live until Windows 7!

Gambas doesn't really work on windows, as far as I can see. And Mono is way too buggy.
    But REALbasic is wonderful, — works well on windows,apple, and linux. It is actively updated, a new version about every 6 months. Its syntax is very VB6-like, (a clone, really), but with some new, added features. However, being cross-platform means that most COM won't work well with it. (although many activeX controls do work).
    Another really good language is PureBasic, porducing fast, small exes. The comob of using REALbasic, Purebasic, and some VB6 is a winner!

Talking Re: VB6.0 will live until Windows 7!

Add to my above post: (the early versions of REALbasic were limited and buggy, but it's a lot different these days.) I like it.
    The big problem with anything on the .NET platform is the code is easliy hacked. You can't protect yourself from pirates. Obfuscation is a joke, — there are many 1-click de-obfuscators. But machine code (like REALbasic or Purebasic) is much harder to crack. Hacker forums (which I visit to learn what they're up to), claim that VB6's p-code is the hardest of all for them to crack, although I don't completely understand this.

Click-Once keeps the app on the server (when you want an online-only app)
    Users see nothing on their desktop or start menu. The app runs after installing once.

Because you check versions, hacked versions won't run
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    Our dying VB6.0 will still live until Windows 7, have a look at this!

This should be good news to all VB6.0 fanatics!

But please check this out http://www.jabaco.org

Maybe worth a good look

That's the spirit... Go BACKWARDS!
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Unhappy Re: VB6.0 will live until Windows 7!

Sorry sirs, Mscomm a big part of VB 6 does not work in windows 7 64 bit.
    So VB 6 cannot go through freely to the upgraded versions of Windows.

Really? A big part eh? So how is it that I managed to use VB6 for its entire lifespan and never once used mscomm ... it may be a big part to you... but it's not a major component of VB6 itself. VB6 itself still runs under Win7 ... some of the ancillary components may not how ever.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.-I also subscribe to all threads I participate, so there's no need to pm when there's an update.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help - how to remove eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to???
    * On Error Resume Next is error ignoring, not error handling(tm). * Use Offensive Programming, not Defensive Programming.
    "There is a major problem with your code, and VB wants to tell you what it is.. but you have decided to put your fingers in your ears and shout 'I'm not listening!'" - si_the_geek on using OERN
    MVP '06-'10

Because it doesn't include TERMINAL.exe?
    Code:
    WinRS.exe /?
    Lets you test connections. Just because Windows 7 uses VIRTUALIZATION, it doesn't mean that you can't USE the connection. You just have to FIND it
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

There are still so many number of applications around that were developed in VB 6. Some of the applications are big enough that even the rewriting costs will be higher, so it is a good idea to keep it going for more time.

Re: VB6.0 will live until Windows 8 <2012>

Well, it's happened again. Another major change to Windows.

Remember when they introduced the START BUTTON and TASK BAR?

Seems we couldn't live without them before...

Now, Windows 8 is coming out featuring a new METRO Interface.

This means that only ONE application runs at a time. The OS shifts everything else (at the moment, with no way to quit, except task manager) to a new SUSPENDED MODE.

Not too hard to port a Windows 7 Phone app over, but getting your VB6 app working with the LIVE TILES is not being talked about. You'll need the NET interface, I'd imagine.

VB6 apps can still live in the new DESKTOP (which is like a DOS window, but running Windows 7). You can have many apps, and IGNORE the METRO part.

Of course new hardware will have TOUCH CAPABILITY. Good luck getting VB6 to recognize a SWIPE
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Only one application running at a time??? That sounds pretty silly as many if not most of us will have more than one app running at a time and have more than one cpu in our systems. in my case I run 6 cores and more often than not have 3 or more apps running at once. One app at a time is fine on a phone but not on a workstation and what about the 100s of services that might need to be running?
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

That's the point. Only services interact with the tiles. When it has something of interest, you open that app. Like the phone with no copy/paste, it quickly got added.

Other programs can talk to services or even the OS. It makes sense, when apps update when you turn on the box.

Still, download the BETA when it's available, and TEST it. Can't complain about it when you helped build it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dglienna; October 1st, 2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Sorry if a live tile showed your public image...
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

It's still alive in Windows 8 too, thankfully!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast