CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

callback issue<mingw compiler error : expected unqualified-id before '=' token>

hey,
    i just wanted to find the size of an overloaded function and got trapped in callback land...

Code:
    #include<iostream>

using namespace std;
    void f(int,int,double);
    void f(int,int);

int main(void) {
    	void (*p)(int,int,double);
    	p = f;
    	cout << sizeof(p) << endl;
    }
    void f(int i,int j, double k){
    	cout << "test0" << endl;
    }
    i can't see what it's asking for and google isn't helping... thanks in advance
    n

Re: callback issue<mingw compiler error : expected unqualified-id before '=' token>

Your sample program compiled without errors (and only had false alarm warnings) for me when I tested with the MinGW port of g++ 3.4.5, MSVC8 and the Comeau online compiler.
    Last edited by laserlight; March 11th, 2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: insert "only had"
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Re: callback issue<mingw compiler error : expected unqualified-id before '=' token>

sorry about that, my school has restrictions in place for environmental variables(xp), so i got eclipse set up for C++ with Mingw today and i'm just getting used to it. i forgot to save the file. thanks for looking...

n

size = 4?

okay, stop me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't memory be set aside for two(2) ints and a double? could someone explain what it is i'm seeing. thanks again.

n
    Last edited by tzadik; March 11th, 2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added: n't

You're looking at the size of a function pointer.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

kewl. so how would i find the actual size of the function?

Define "actual size of the function"... Functions are code, and really don't have any size (except whatever the chunk of assembly code takes up).

Viggy

Quote Originally Posted by tzadik View Post
    hey,
    i just wanted to find the size of an overloaded function
    What sizeof() gets you is the size in bytes of the variable type. Since f is a pointer, it gets you the number of bytes a pointer consists of.

As MrViggy stated, what do you mean by "size of an overloaded function"? If you mean code size, this is totally outside the realm of ANSI C++. If anything, getting the "size of a function" in terms of code size is OS dependent, where you have to know which OS function(s) to call to get this information.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

I think there are one section in assembly that contain all your code. I forgot those name.
    Thanks for your help.