CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Local object can be reference outside function

I need help explaining me the below code. my function called "getPerson" create a temporary object and return the object's address to the calling function. from the calling function, I want to know why i can still use that address to reference it's class member.

Talking about scope and object lifetime, the temporary object would be destroyed on function return, and subsequent reference to that object would result in null pointer.

But when i compile and run the program, the above rule is not true. so it seems that the object in memory is not immediately removed.

Code:
    #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

class Person{
    public:
    	int age;
    	~Person(){cout<<"Class ending..."<<endl;}
    };

Person *getPerson(){
    	Person p;

p.age=10;
    	return &p;
    }

int main(){
    	Person *p;

p=getPerson();
    	cout<<p->age<<endl;

getchar();
    	return 0;
    }

Re: Local object can be reference outside function

Quote Originally Posted by piggy181
    Talking about scope and object lifetime, the temporary object would be destroyed on function return, and subsequent reference to that object would result in null pointer.
    The local variable will be destroyed when the return returns, but the pointer returned is not a null pointer, but rather a pointer that points to a destroyed object. Dereferencing such a pointer results in undefined behaviour.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Nope. Pointers are never set to NULL automatically. Pointers are just a memory address. That never becomes 0. But the object/value stored at that address becomes invalid. So, never do what you did in getPerson().
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

The object 'p' is created as a local object in the getPerson() function. Therefore when this function returns it is no longer safe to access this object, even though you have a pointer to where it used to be.

If you do try to access it, the behaviour is undefined and thus anything could happen. One of these possibilities is of course that the contents of the memory has not been changed and therefore accessing p->age will give you the value 10 - as you are probably seeing.

This is just luck, however, and you should never try to access objects which no longer exist.