how to programatically play a video?
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: how to programatically play a video?

  1. #1
    George2 is offline Elite Member Power Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,468

    how to programatically play a video?

    Hello everyone,

    I want to programtically play a remote (streamed) video using C#, the purpose is to test web sites performance/stress. No need to have any GUI, just using Media Player API to playback a speific video by URL is fine.

    I searched for Windows Media Player API/SDK samples, but all are dealing with GUI, not what I wanted. Does anyone have any good samples to recommend?

    thanks in advance,
    George

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    210

    Re: how to programatically play a video?

    I'm not sure if your focus is correct, but:

    Streaming videos is done mostly by a plug in inside the browser (e.g. QuickTime).,
    So it is the browser's job to run a video.


    If you want to check the performance you may be better with general network traffic check of the accessed URL (video).

  3. #3
    George2 is offline Elite Member Power Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,468

    Re: how to programatically play a video?

    I am interested in "you may be better with general network traffic check of the accessed URL (video).". Do you have more information, like document or code?

    My purpose is to create hundreds of connections to server, and each connection play some video on the site, and I want to measure the experience of each connection (end user) when there are hundreds of users connected to the server.

    Quote Originally Posted by MNovy View Post
    I'm not sure if your focus is correct, but:

    Streaming videos is done mostly by a plug in inside the browser (e.g. QuickTime).,
    So it is the browser's job to run a video.


    If you want to check the performance you may be better with general network traffic check of the accessed URL (video).
    regards,
    George

  4. #4
    Arjay's Avatar
    Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11,483

    Re: how to programatically play a video?

    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    I searched for Windows Media Player API/SDK samples, but all are dealing with GUI, not what I wanted.
    Why sweat the UI? When you create each connection, just use a media player instance and hide the UI. Look at this another way, presumably your users are going to use a UI to display the video, so your stress tests will be more like the real load if you simulate it as close as possible.

  5. #5
    George2 is offline Elite Member Power Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,468

    Re: how to programatically play a video?

    Hi Arjay,

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Why sweat the UI? When you create each connection, just use a media player instance and hide the UI. Look at this another way, presumably your users are going to use a UI to display the video, so your stress tests will be more like the real load if you simulate it as close as possible.
    From your reply, I think you understand my requirement quite well. :-)

    Do you have any simple sample recommendations for me to start-with? All the samples I found are too completed and I just need to render/play the video from server programatically.

    regards,
    George

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows Mobile Development Center


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

This is a CodeGuru survey question.


Featured


HTML5 Development Center