CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

how to include .lib and .dll?

hello,

i'm using VC++ 2005 and I have 3 files I was given in order to implement a project. These files are a .lib, a .dll and a .h

In order to get things started and not loosing too much time with it, I decided to start a win32 console application, just to see it working and then take bigger steps.

In the project properties->Linker->Input I added the .lib file.

In the cpp file I made the include of the .h file.

Do I have to do something with the .dll?

This is the first time I need to add an external library like this to a project. I have used Winsock and other stuff without any problems. What do I need to do in order to be able to access these functions? I still haven't figured out what's the "trick".

The only readable information I have is on the .h file i was given and the declaring of the functions looks something like this:
    _declspec(dllexport) Name_of_Function();

Can someone give me a hand please?

best regards

Carlos

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: how to include .lib and .dll?

If you put the dll in the working directory of the built program you should be fine. Alternatively, add its location to your PATH environment variable.

One additional point, did you add .h file to your project?
    On the other hand, witch is your current issue? As Lindley said the simple .dll copy in the build folder it's enough to use that .dll file.

hello,

first of all, thanks for your replies.

the issue is that, when I call the functions of the .h file, I can't compile as they are considered as non existant. Do you think that putting the DLL into the build folder is enough solve this?

bottom line is: I can't compile when I call a function present on the .h file.

Is there any particular way of calling those functions? I ask this because they are declared in a way which is not familiar to me.

thanks again!

Carlos

Please, show us your IDE output window content. We need it for a quickly understand of your issues.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Since dlls are linked at runtime, nothing the compiler or linker says to you at build time could possibly be related to the dll. It's more likely an issue with the lib.