CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

[Newbie] Putting variables into an order

Hello,

First I would like to welcome myself and say hi, I love the site and have spent a little time reading and just started writing some C++ to play around with. All of my code is written for the console at the moment and I hope to change that one day, but one step at a time.

I have two problems, I am not expecting someone two write the code for me but to point me in the right direction would be tops.

Problem 1.
    I am using cin to put data into my program, I am then storing the data as a float. I have around 10 floats, I would like to then put those floats in running order from lowest to highest and give them a new syntax (i think it is that, called please correct me if I am wrong) or in lame terms a new float variable.

An example of what I want is

float number1 = 1
    float number2 = 15
    float number3 = 4
    float number4 = 40

to become

float next1 = 1
    float next2 = 4
    float next3 = 15
    float next4 = 40

I am also aware those are whole numbers and should be using int, but it is just an example and I wish to have the use of decimals

Problem 2.

I know I can write a lot and lot of code to "brute force" what I want but I am hoping for a simple solution, the easiest way I can explain this is the card game 21. I want my program to select the x number of floats and get nearest to 21 without going over 21.

I will be very grateful for any help I can receive, I am totally a newbie here asking newbie questions but am trying to learn something by coding something practical in my eyes.

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated.
    Last edited by Ancient; April 7th, 2009 at 07:51 AM.