CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Red face Visual Studio Install Issues

This is an FYI

I had problems installing Visual Studio over WinXP SP 3. Had to wipe the HD and install Windows again and VS finally installed. Appears to be something with the MS Java Virtual Machine. If you recall, Sun and MS had a falling out while ago. Rumor has it this is why you can't get old copies of Visual Studio any more.

Re: Visual Studio Install Issues

Still installs on all operating systems thru Windows 7. Don't know what problem you're having, but it has nothing to do with JAVA. This should be in Chit Chat, anyways.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I just installed VS6 on WINXP SP3 today, Everything went just fine.

Also last I checked you could still get copies of VS6 from several vendors as well as directly from Microsoft.

If you install any .NET product (VB.NET/VS.NET) prior to VB 6.0, you will have to uninstall the .NET design environment before you install VB 6.0 or VS 6.0.

(ALSO: I have VS 6.0 Enterprise SP5 installed and when I installed VS.NET 2k8 Pro, some of the references and controls were upgraded to SP6 for VS 6.0. Something I was trying to avoid because of all of the problems some of the controls in SP6 have, but so far so good I have not had any of the problems I have read about in other forums.)

Good Luck

I had VS 2008 installed before I installed VS 6 on my latest machine. I did not have any problems installing VS6 and have not saw any problems using it thus far.

On Vista?

No not on Vista. The question/comment in the op is related to a problem on WinXP SP3 not Vista.

I also have installed it on Vista and had issues of course. I had to read up in the MS knowledge base to resolve the issues which were related to the need for SP6 and run as administrator. I did not need to uninstall anything but I do not remember if I had VS 2005 installed before or after VS6 in that case. both are installed and working though.