CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Excel process remains in task manager when using OleDB

Hi everyone,
    I'm working on a project where i need to check the values within an existing excel file.
    The problem is the the Excel.exe process is still active in task manager even after I release all the appropriate COM objects I've created. I've searched a lot for this issue and it seems that
    da.Fill(dt) is the problem.
    Here is the code.
    Any suggestions??

Code:
                      conn = new OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + dlg1.FileName + ";Extended Properties=\"Excel 8.0;HDR=YES\"");            
                                dt = new DataTable();
                                ExcApp = new Excel.Application();
                                ExcApp.DisplayAlerts = false;
                                Excel.Workbooks _Wb = ExcApp.Workbooks;
                                wb = _Wb.Open(dlg1.FileName, 0, false, 5,
                                 "", "", true, Excel.XlPlatform.xlWindows, "\t", false, false,
                                  0, false, false, false);

Excel.Sheets _Sheet = wb.Worksheets;
                                Excel.Worksheet _WSheet = (Excel.Worksheet)_Sheet[1];// = (Excel.Worksheet)wb.Worksheets[1];//xcel.Worksheet(wb.WorkSheets("Sheet1"));
                                Excel.Range _range = _WSheet.UsedRange;
                                string name = _WSheet.Name;
                                // _range.Tab
                                cmd = string.Format("Select * from [{0}$]", name);
                                //  OleDbCommand c = new OleDbCommand(cmd, conn);
                                da = new OleDbDataAdapter(cmd, conn);

da.Fill(dt);

//do something with the datatable

dlg1.FileName = dlg1.FileName + ".txt";
                                wb.Save();
                                wb.SaveAs(dlg1.FileName, Excel.XlFileFormat.xlUnicodeText, "", "", true, false, Excel.XlSaveAsAccessMode.xlNoChange, Excel.XlSaveConflictResolution.xlOtherSessionChanges,
                                false, false, Type.Missing, Type.Missing);
                                wb.Save();
                                ExcApp.DisplayAlerts = true;

#region Dispose region
                                dt.Dispose();
                                dt = null;
                                cmd = null;
                                conn.ConnectionString = null;
                                conn.Dispose();
                                conn = null;
                                da.SelectCommand.Dispose();
                                da.Dispose();
                                da = null;

System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(_range);
                                System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(_Sheet);
                                System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(_WSheet);
                                wb.Close(true, System.Reflection.Missing.Value, System.Reflection.Missing.Value);
                                _Wb.Close();
                                ExcApp.Workbooks.Close();

ExcApp.Quit();
                                System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(wb);
                                System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(_Wb);
                                System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(ExcApp.Workbooks);
                                System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(ExcApp);
                                _range = null;
                                _Sheet = null;
                                _WSheet = null;
                                wb = null;
                                _Wb = null;
                                ExcApp = null;
                                GC.Collect();
                                GC.WaitForPendingFinalizers();

Re: Excel process remains in task manager when using OleDB

I would advise to use the 'using' syntax. All object that are disposable can use this syntax.

Maybe if you call Dispose() only is not enough: for example, when using a StreamWriter, this should be flushed en closed first before disposing. When the 'using' syntax is used, this is done automaticcally.

Thus
    Code:
    StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter("myfile.txt");
    sw.WriteLine("test");
    sw.Flush();
    sw.Close();
    sw.Dispose();
    is replaced by
    Code:
    using (StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter("myfile.txt")){
       sw.WriteLine("test");
    }
    maybe in your code something should be closed (or flused) before it is disposed. I don't know Excel namespace that well.

Check if there is some Close() method on the Excel objects or just use the 'using' syntax.

Thank you for your reply,
    I have used the using syntax but nothing seems to change..
    Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by goisve View Post
    Thank you for your reply,
    I have used the using syntax but nothing seems to change..
    Any other suggestions?
    I've not examined what you are doing in great detail. But it seems to me that you don't actually need to use the Excel application at all. You can do all of it with ADO.NET and the OLEDB drivers (including saving to a new file). Not using the Excel application would bypass your problem.
    Last edited by nelo; April 15th, 2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: More information.

I met the same problem before. What I did is find the process in process list and kill it.
    The difficulty is that you have no idea how difficult it is.

.Net 3.5/VS 2008

Hi everyone,
    I'm working on a project where i need to check the values within an existing excel file.
    The problem is the the Excel.exe process is still active in task manager even after I release all the appropriate COM objects I've created. I've searched a lot for this issue and it seems that
    Here is the code.
    Any suggestions??
    Have you already tried to use the dataAdapter itself in a 'using' clause
    Code:
     using(OleDbDataAdapter  da = new OleDbDataAdapter(cmd, conn)){
        da.Fill(dt);
    }
    My generell experience with excel and word is
    a) if you can avoid calling them... avoid it
    b) If you cannot avoid to use one of them then use small subroutines where you only do the specific needed actions for example one subroutine to open the application, another one to use the worksheets .. use the needed try - catch routines in this subroutines so you can differentiate between cases where the application for any reason wan't opened and cases where you didn't get access to the needed Worksheet, because the problems I have seen in my applications had been that there had been for examples problems anywhere in the code so an error disables to d what was wanted to do and in such cases the application wasn't closed properly so it (Excel.exe) remains in the process List. Thus then created additional problems when trying to execute the application again.
    Handling in steps corrected the issue as for example: failed to open.... unnecessary to close. But all this IMHO needs a very well arranged exceptions handling.

BTW Why do you have thre save() methods one after the other ?
    Code:
    wb.Save();
    wb.SaveAs(dlg1.FileName, Excel.XlFileFormat.xlUnicodeText, "", "", true, false, Excel.XlSaveAsAccessMode.xlNoChange, Excel.XlSaveConflictResolution.xlOtherSessionChanges, false, false, Type.Missing, Type.Missing);
    wb.Save();
    Whats behind that ?
    Last edited by JonnyPoet; April 21st, 2009 at 05:53 AM.
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Quote Originally Posted by jasonli View Post
    I met the same problem before. What I did is find the process in process list and lkill it.
    I like it. Straight to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by nelo View Post
    I like it. Straight to the point.
    Yes, but its no solution for selling a program which doesn't close Excel in a correct way. You cannot tell the user: so... ah... sorry... ah... if you have some troubles with my program.... so a... ah ... sorry... ups, simple go and kill the open Excel thread and all will be fine again. Thk you, end of service.
    Last edited by JonnyPoet; April 16th, 2009 at 05:49 AM.
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPoet View Post
    Yes, but its no solution for selling a program which doesn't close excel in a correct way. You cannot ttell the user: so... ah... sorry... ah... if yoou have some troubles with my program.... so a... ah ... sorry... ups, simple go and kill the open excell theread and all will be fine again. Thk you, end of service.
    Very good point. You are wise.

[QUOTE=JonnyPoet;1833275]
    Hi everyone,
    Here is the code.
    Any suggestions??

Have you already tried to use the dataAdapter itself in a 'using' clause
    Code:
     using(OleDbDataAdapter  da = new OleDbDataAdapter(cmd, conn)){
        da.Fill(dt);
    }
    My generell experience with excel and word is
    a) if you can avoid calling them... avoid it
    b) If you cannot avoid to use one of them then use small subroutines where you only do the specific needed actions for example one subroutine to open the application, another one to use the worksheets .. use the needed try - catch routines in this subroutines so you can differentiate between cases where the application for any reason wan't opened and cases where you didn't get access to the needed Worksheet, because the problems I have seen in my applications had been that there had been for examples problems anywhere in the code so an error disables to d what was wanted to do and in such cases the application wasn't closed properly so it (Excel.exe) remains in the process List. Thus then created additional problems when trying to execute the application again.
    Handling in steps corrected the issue as for example: failed to open.... unnecessary to close. But all this IMHO needs a very well arranged exceptions handling.

BTW Why do you have thre save() methods one after the other ?
    Code:
    wb.Save();
    wb.SaveAs(dlg1.FileName, Excel.XlFileFormat.xlUnicodeText, "", "", true, false, Excel.XlSaveAsAccessMode.xlNoChange, Excel.XlSaveConflictResolution.xlOtherSessionChanges, false, false, Type.Missing, Type.Missing);
    wb.Save();
    Whats behind that ?

Nothing behind that!! I left the second save method() by accident!
    I' ll follow your instructions.Hope it will work!

I checked today that if I remove the da.Fill(dt) command
    the Excel.exe process terminates.
    what's wrong about the fill command?
    I'm disposing all the objects (dataAdapter, dataTable, connection) that are affected

Quote Originally Posted by nelo View Post
    I've not examined what you are doing in great detail. But it seems to me that you don't actually need to use the Excel application at all. You can do all of it with ADO.NET and the OLEDB drivers (including saving to a new file). Not using the Excel application would bypass your problem.

I'm modifying the Excel File and the i want to save it as a tab-delimeted text file. How can i Do that without the excel application?

[quote=goisve;1833458]

Nothing behind that!! I left the second save method() by accident!
    I' ll follow your instructions.Hope it will work!
    I see I thought this was intentionally, because I have had problems with storing files too in old VB programs. So I thought you may have troubles here too.
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

I checked today that if I remove the da.Fill(dt) command
    the Excel.exe process terminates.
    what's wrong about the fill command?
    I'm disposing all the objects (dataAdapter, dataTable, connection) that are affected
    Have you already tried to use the 'using'
    clause as I suggested?
    -
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

Yes, but its no solution for selling a program which doesn't close Excel in a correct way. You cannot tell the user: so... ah... sorry... ah... if you have some troubles with my program.... so a... ah ... sorry... ups, simple go and kill the open Excel thread and all will be fine again. Thk you, end of service.
    At the end of program, after everything is done, use Process class to check running process list and find excel to kill it. How do users know that excel application doesn't terminate correctly?

In my program I open excel file and save data in it, just can't terminate the process. It just stays in process list, like a ghost. Very annoying!

My way is just a workaround.
    The difficulty is that you have no idea how difficult it is.

.Net 3.5/VS 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast