CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Paint outside of WNDPROC

Basically i have a standard window where i want to draw some balls too, but the painting messages will not be handled in the Window Processor as WM_PAINT or WM_TIMER messages, instead i have a message loop like this:

while(true)
    {
    starting_point = GetTickCount();//frame limiter

if(PeekMessage (&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE))
    {
    if (msg.message == WM_QUIT)
    break;
    else if( !TranslateAccelerator (hwnd, hAccel, &msg) )
    {
    TranslateMessage (&msg) ;
    DispatchMessage (&msg) ;
    }

}
    if(!opt.bPause );//simulation is not on pause
    //RENDER FRAME() !!!PROBLEM AREA

while ((GetTickCount() - starting_point) < 1000/opt.REFRESH); //frame limiter
    }

in the RenderFrame function i want to make a GDI back buffer, draw to it and swap it with a front buffer, but for that i need a DC. The problem is that all the functions for getting a DC, like GetDC and BeginPaint need a handle to the window. My question is, is it possible to save the windows handle global, or is it changing all the time, and if it is, are there any other optios to paint a window outside of it's WindowProc?
    Thanks in advance

Re: Paint outside of WNDPROC

Once a window handle is generated by the OS, it represents that window for the duration of it's existence, until it's destroyed.

There are many ways to provide access to that or the encapsulating object that represents a window (assuming you're using some kind of framework). A global variable is not the better choice, but it would work if you chose to use it.

The general topic you're considering, it seems to me, is known as a client DC - typically used for painting at times other than paint message.
    If my post was interesting or helpful, perhaps you would consider clicking the 'rate this post' to let me know (middle icon of the group in the upper right of the post).

Smile Re: Paint outside of WNDPROC

My question is, is it possible to save the windows handle global, or is it changing all the time, and if it is, are there any other optios to paint a window outside of it's WindowProc?
    Thanks in advance
    No need to declare the Window handle itself Global. Instead you can have a dummy temp HWND variable as global, and just assign the Handle to it. So, you can use the copy of original hWnd variable for global uses like use in Functions etc.

It cannot be confirmly said that a Windows handle remains constant, as it may vary ofcourse at some instance, if Sufficient memory is not available and the paging is used.
    "I studied everything but never topped. Today, toppers of the world's best universities are my employees"

-William Henry Gates (Bill Gates)

You can retrieve the current windows handle with GetActiveWindow(), e.g.
    Code:
    HWND hwnd;
    HDC hdc;
    hwnd = GetActiveWindow();
    hdc = GetDC(hwnd);
    ReleaseDC(hwnd, hdc);

Quote Originally Posted by CoolPG View Post
    No need to declare the Window handle itself Global. Instead you can have a dummy temp HWND variable as global, and just assign the Handle to it.
    I don't see the difference between storing a window handle in a global variable, or a copy of that handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPG View Post
    It cannot be confirmly said that a Windows handle remains constant, as it may vary ofcourse at some instance, if Sufficient memory is not available and the paging is used.
    This is incorrect. Window handle doesn't change ever, not even while paging.
    Vlad - MS MVP [2007 - 2012] - www.FeinSoftware.com
    Convenience and productivity tools for Microsoft Visual Studio:
    FeinWindows - replacement windows manager for Visual Studio, and more...

Quote Originally Posted by olivthill2 View Post
    You can retrieve the current windows handle with GetActiveWindow()...
    What is "current window"? You can get *active* window handle with tht call, may not be the one you wanted to paint.
    Vlad - MS MVP [2007 - 2012] - www.FeinSoftware.com
    Convenience and productivity tools for Microsoft Visual Studio:
    FeinWindows - replacement windows manager for Visual Studio, and more...

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirF View Post
    This is incorrect. Window handle doesn't change ever, not even while paging.
    OK Vlad.. can you be a lil more specific?

because i have read somewhere that a Window's handle can change dynamically... i hope, its in an MSDN article or somewhere...

So, can you please provide correct info?
    "I studied everything but never topped. Today, toppers of the world's best universities are my employees"

-William Henry Gates (Bill Gates)