CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Debugging a Process with VS 2003

Hi,
    Has anyone seen the following problem with VS.NET 2003 while debugging a process? If so, how to resolve it.

When I do:

Tools->Debug Processes…

Sometimes nothing happens. No dialog box pops up. However, the application stops responding. If I try to close the VS IDE, it says “There is a modal dialog box open. Close it first”. I think it refers to the Attach Process Dialog Box. But in fact, there is no visible dialog box. The only option I have in that situation is to kill the process using Task Manager. This happens quite often for me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    SB

Re: Debugging a Process with VS 2003

Something like this has happened to me re-arranging my monitor setup. I use 3 monitors, but at times I've plugged in one to another computer I'm debugging/fixing/building, and reduced my Windows setup to 2 monitors.

Some applications will launch their dialogs in a 'previous' location which they remember, and sometimes that has meant that it was shown so far to the right that it was on my 3rd monitor, which once it was removed, made the dialog out of view and not visible.

I can't say that's what's happening to you, but it's one reason it has happened to me.
    If my post was interesting or helpful, perhaps you would consider clicking the 'rate this post' to let me know (middle icon of the group in the upper right of the post).

Re: Debugging a Process with VS 2003

I do have two monitors. Although the dialog is supposed to appear on the first one (its previous location as well as that of the VS IDE), I don't even find it on the second monitor either.

Apparently, the problem has something to do with multiple monitors. Next time I will try to turn off one of them, to see if the dialog appears.
    Thanks
    SB