CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation No Intellisense support in VC10 for C++/CLI!!!

The horror!! The horror!!

Boris Jabes (MSFT) has just revealed in a VC++ blog post (in the comments no less; I wonder when we'd have found this out if Sunil Joshi had not asked about it) that Visual Studio 2010 Intellisense, you know, that incredibly fast and reliable rearchitecture of Intellisense that we've all been waiting for, will not support C++/CLI!

http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive...ellisense.aspx

This is stunning to me. Boris's statement is effectively that "we don't think you spend all that much of your time in C++/CLI anyway!" Puh!

If you are at all invested in C++/CLI, please head over to that blog post and add a comment indicating your displeasure with this disturbing turn of events.

Thanks,

Eric

Re: No Intellisense support in VC10 for C++/CLI!!!

I have to say intellisense has never worked correctly for me in C++/CLI or the older Managed C++ and I have since stopped relying on it.

It is true what he says though : the bulk of my .NET code is written in C# with only the interop parts written in C++/CLI.

This isn't really something which has me jumping up and down in anger I'm afraid. Rather than patchy intellisense they're giving us no intellisense - not a great loss in my mind.

Darwen.
    www.pinvoker.com - PInvoker - the .NET PInvoke Interface Exporter for C++ Dlls.

We completely empathize with the need to work with C++/CLI and we think it's a great way to do interop between native code and managed code. As part of this re-architecture, we had to make the difficult decision to reduce the scope to native C++ only for Intellisense. We still index symbols coming from C++/CLI code and you can browse them with Class View etc...

While the lack of Intellisense for C++/CLI is unfortunate, we expect that it only represents a small portion of your source code that you don't need to edit nearly as often as the native code. Indeed, the only scenario we don't recommend is to use C++/CLI as a first-class .NET language. Instead, we think it's the ideal solution for interop.
    As they say, the only reasonable scenario for this language is mixed-mode applications. However, I think it's a pity they don't offer IntelliSense support for it.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

*** UPDATE ***

Boris Jabes has now posted a clarification in the comments of the referenced blog post stating that the lack of C++/CLI Intellisense support in Visual Studio 2010 is temporary and will be remedied as soon as possible after Visual Studio 2010 ships. This is certainly an improvement compared to the original statement, which did not say anything about the lack of C++/CLI support being temporary.

http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive...ellisense.aspx

Then they might provide support in the first service pack for VS2010.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.