Hi,

I'm writing a win32 wrapper classes, mainly to learn more about win32 programming. To get around the problem of c-style callbacks, the following method stores/retrieves the pointer using SetWindowLong/GetWindowLong and passes it to the actual winproc.

Code:
LRESULT CALLBACK WinClass::WindowProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
    // On window creation, WindowProc receives lParam as a LPCREATESTRUCT 
    // Store *this* pointer as long in GWL_USERDATA
    if (msg == WM_NCCREATE)
    	::SetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_USERDATA, reinterpret_cast<long>(reinterpret_cast<LPCREATESTRUCT>(lParam)->lpCreateParams));

// Retrieve the pointer
    WinClass *wnd = reinterpret_cast<WinClass*>(::GetWindowLongPtr(hwnd, GWL_USERDATA));

// Call the actual winproc function
    if (wnd)
    	return wnd->WndProc(hwnd, msg, wParam, lParam);
    // Default to DefWindowProc message handler function
    return ::DefWindowProc(hwnd, msg, wParam, lParam);
}
Winclass is the class wrapping the main window created by CreateWindowEx. The same WindowProc function is part of the MDlgClass wrapping the modal dialog. I'm calling the dialog like this

Code:
DialogBox(GetModuleHandle(NULL), MAKEINTRESOURCE(id), hwnd, DialogProc);
If I pass NULL as the hWndParent, the dialog works okay as a modeless dialog but if I pass hwnd, the handle to the main window as hWndParent the dialog works correctly as a modal dialog. However when i close the dialog it doesnt pass control back to the main parent window? Debugging in Visual Studio shows its hanging in the message pump in WinMain.

I thought of using a hashmap to map the pointers but I'd rather do it using GetWindowLong etc. Is this possible? I've tried storing the dialog pointer in DWL_USER but it doesnt help.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm still getting my head around Win32.